Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install Compaq keyboard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
Had to format/reinstall on a customer's Compaq desktop. Used the Compaq restore disks to reinstall o/s (XP home). When I installed the o/s I had a generic keyboard (ps2)hooked up and it worked fine. When I took it back to the customer's site, I hooked up the Compaq keyboard that came with the machine (usb). Driver would not load - gave an error saying something like "cannot install this file because it is already installed". OK, uninstalled the device, and downloaded the driver from the HP website and reinstalled. Same thing. The keyboard has a built in slot for memory cards (for digital cameras). But it seems the OEM hardware with the OEM software and the OEM driver should work!!! What else can I do? Customer is using a loaner keybord of mine right now.

I don't know whether this update would help you or not.

822603 - Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update

Sounds like a visit to Compaq Support, even if it's only to be told to reinstall XP with the original keyboard attached.

What does the Device Manager have to say about the matter. Are any of the setup***.logs in the Windows folder forthcoming with any clues?

I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me ... only different ... the system was OEM'd with WINME, I did an XP home fresh installation, went to the compaq/hp website for the necessary drivers, installed them at my shop (using a standard PS/2 keyboard) everything AOK ... brought the computer back and hooked everything up ... same exact error, the USB keyboard will not work! It works before XP loads, but once XP starts up, no keyboard. Were you able to fix this?

No, I have not been able to fix it. The problem seems to be with the built-in card reader. I'm going to replace the keyboard with a generic (Labtec) multimedia keyboard instead. Costs about $15 on sale at Fry's.

here is the fix...

open the control panel
select open the keyboard icon
open the hardware tab

you should see two deveices in the list. the second one is the one we are fired up about.

you are going to need to re-install or install the correct drivers for this depending on where you are....SO....

select the Properties tab
then Drivers tab
then Update drivers

Install from spectific location
select Dont search, I will choose the driver to install
select the HID Keyboard Device driver located in the list.

should take you all of 5 seconds to install this DAMN driver...drove me crazy for a whole day. enjoy.

yeah I have my A+, Network +, SAIR, MCP, MCSE and one of them lil things you know a CCNA but the real question is, Buddy can you spare a dime?

Bought a new multimedia keyboard for $20. Problem fixed.

bygeek said:
Bought a new multimedia keyboard for $20. Problem fixed.

Unfortunately, if it not often this easy. Keep handy the several suggestions above.

problem was not fixed due to you just working around the solution...in all actuallity you made the problem worse for everyone else simply by the fact that you stated it was a CLIENT which this was for, when you say that, it means you showed the CLIENT how incompetent you were in finding the solution. And I bet you billed them the same for NOT FIXING the problem...huh ?

yeah I have my A+, Network +, SAIR, MCP, MCSE and one of them lil things you know a CCNA but the real question is, Buddy can you spare a dime?

Tatted,

You've got a lot of nerve flaming me, pal. Who do you think you are? I found the cheapest, quickest, easiest solution for my customer. If you don't like it, tough. And if you must know, I didn't charge them to install it.

bygeek,

dont be sad [sadeyes] it’s been awhile from me being here last. Been away FINDING solutions to networking issues and not finding quick fixes that aren’t really fixes they are just “lip stick [lipstick] and rouge” so lets just start by saying who I am....I am the guy that had the solution, that’s who I am. You, sir on the other hand are someone that who did not know the solution and opted out of finding a true fix. When it comes down to it, you pretty much did nothing, so here is a [medal] for trying. Now let’s rethink who you think you are and who I know I am. You might want to save that fix I have up there man, you never know when someone might actually like their keyboard and you can’t fix the issue with some cheap 20 buck keyboard. have a nice day.

Tatted: First, I experienced this same problem today. Took the computer back not knowing it had a USB keyboard and when I plugged everything back in - in front of the client - it didn't work. Brought it back to the shop - tried the usual - downloaded new drivers from Compaq (HP) to no avail. Came here - found your solution. Although I had some minor differences (only one device listed on the hardware tab) your solution solved the problem. For that, I thank you.

Now, regarding the other issue in this thread. I agree with you 100%. Yes, just giving the client a new standard keyboard might be the fastest resolution but one does have to consider what impression this leaves in the customer's mind. "It worked before the hard drive crashed, why couldn't he fix it?" A person could lie and say the keyboard went bad but then if the customer wants it back and tries it in another computer and it works... goodbye credibility, goodbye customer. We all know computers can be frustrating to the point of wanting to toss them out the window but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Besides, for me personally, I hate the feeling of being defeated by some computer!

Have a great day and thanks again for the solution! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back