Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't install any updates! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello

I've got three identical term servers with win2k SP4. My problem is: On one of them, I can't install any updates now. When i go to windows update and try installing any of the critical updates, they fail. When I try installing updates directly from one of my M$ contacts, it fails saying:

"You do not have permission to update Windows 2000. Please contact your system administrator."

Well, first of all, I am the system admin, and I am logged in as a local admin/domain admin.

I've rebooted numerous times, but still no luck. Also, there isn't any logs in the Event Log.

Any ideas?
snoots

Tried that! The M4 dude i was talkin to had me try that a few times..

I have this same issue since MS04-019 ... but MS04-025 does install itself ... very strange :(

I have the same issue:

SP4 - MS04-18 update fine
MS04-19 - MS04-24 fail with message
MS04-25 updates fine

This is on 2 servers out of 20.

I have tried as various admin accounts local and domain up to and including enterprise admin.

The common thread is that the are in their own OU and run a Rockwell call centre.

Seems to be a hive or hives in the registry that aren't playing ball. Will have to find it / them. [sad]

I had the same issue. The resolution was to remove the server (mine was a member server, not a DC) from the domain, then log on as local admin, run Win update (worked fine for Critical Updates), restart and rejoin the domain. Hope this helps....

Hi all, I was just installing a Windows 2000 Pro laptop for a particular task and found the same problem mentioned here. But I also find a solution for this (at least it works for me), I follow the instructions : but I explicitly add my user to the groups mentioned in the MS link, in each one. After reboot the Updater.exe began to work smoothly.

I hope this can be helpful.

Regards

OAB

Wow, this post is still hangin in there huh!?

Anyway, almost 8 months later I have a little update. I ended up blowing the machine away and starting from scratch.. Reinstalled everything and guess what...................it worked! haha, i don't recomend formatting to anyone who has this problem, but hey it worked for me!

snoots

I recently ran into this same problem and the solution provided by Microsoft PSS involved the same settings outlined in the KB referenced by OAB.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back