Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Install a GeForce 2Ultra AGP card on my W2K system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBPFL

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2002
US
I am trying to install a GeForce 2 Ultra card on my Tyan S1854 motherboard. I downloaded the latest Via Apollo chipset (4-in-1) upgrades and the latest Nvida drivers available from them. The software runs through the install and says it completed OK , "please reboot". After reboot the system reverts to Std-VGA with 16 colors only. Any other ideas why this will not install on Windows 2000. It worked fine on W98se.

first just make sure you have the win 2k drivers and not the 98 ones, did you get them from or the manufacturers website, get them from nvidia, they are much better.

yes I did download the latest Win2000 drivers from Nvida and it installs through setup with no errors. After it prompts for reboot it comes up with 16 colors and reverts to VGA-compatible driver. @#$%

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, its a longshot, but you could try downloading them again, maybee something got corrupted that doesnt affect the install

Tried downloading again. It didn't work. I'm baffled. Never had an issue like this before at home or work. I'm thinking about reinstalling OS to see if I can get that to work. Any other ideas out there before I go through the hassle????

I have seen a similar problem like this with a geforce 2 card on WinXP, but it may be similar.
In the device Manager is the video card displayed as disabled b/c of a problem?
If it is the problem may be due to a setting in the bios. There might be a setting similar to "enable irq for vga"
You should make sure that this setting is enabled.
Restart the computer and check out the device manager again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back