Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't hear the modem dial anymore!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfixall

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US
I reinstalled audio drivers and now i don't hear the modem dialing or answering sounds.The modem is working properly and the volume setting in properties is set high.The system sounds are fine and playing a cd is no problem.I am using a Compaq Presario 1200-xl111 notebook.

Thank you for the fix,but i'm afaid that I don't understand how to apply this command.

I had this same problem! YOU CANNOT ADJUST THE SOUND BY CONFIGURING THE MODEM.....YOU MUST SET IT BY CONFIGURING THE DIAL-UP ADAPTER!!!!!!!"
1)Go to My Computer==>
2)open up "Dial-up Netwoking"
3)right-click on the connection you use to dial the modem==>
4)select "properties"==>
5)where it says "Connect Using..", click "configure",
6)then you can adjust the volume.

This works! Respond if it does!!!

Hi

I had a similar issue and resolved it quite simply by double clicking on the volume icon in the taskbar, then ensuring that the "Phone line" volume option was displayed and that it wasnt down on zero or mute. i.e just push the slide bar up a bit and then you should be able to hear your modem again.

Hans

thanks for the input but as i said in the original statment,"the volume was set high in the properties"I do not have a Phone volume control and all the other sound functions are working on the computer.I still have no idea what is meant by L2&M2 in advanced AT init string.

Under Modom Properties, Connection Tab, Advanced Button; there is a place to enter " Extra Settings ".

If your modem is common try "AT&F M2 L2". The following site will have some more info. for you.

Good Luck! -md

DO NOT put "AT" in front of ANY init string you add to the extra settings box.
It's redundant, and can reset the modem, eliminating the preset (hidden) factory init, which you must have.
Just put M2L2 in the extra settings box.
The breakdown is as follows:
M0=apeaker off
M1=speaker on
M2=speaker on (redundant)
L0=volume off
L1=volume low
L2=volume medium
L3=volume high Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks to everyone!adding just "M2L2" worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back