Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't hear calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTL7

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2019
AG
I've got an issue where throughout the day (it's very random)some users cannot hear the other end of the call and these are extension to extension calls. I'm new to Mitel and I have a 3300 MXe III and the handsets are a mixture of 5304's and 5312's. Everything else on the network works as expected without any issues. So I'm stumped as to what to check for on the 3300 to make sure everything is proper. I'm not the phone guy, but having to troubleshoot this since he is out of town. There doesn't seem to be a problem with external calls, only in-house.

are they all within the same network ?
are they in a voice vlan (seperated from data)

with Mitel voice is peer to peer , signalling is always via the Pabx
if the trunks are ISDN or PSTn based then that voice will be proxied via the Pabx address

No speech or 1 way speech is almost always routing or firewall related

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Sounds like a routing /gateway issue.

If phones are on different networks/vlan, easiest way to do a trace dump and see COnnection Information on the trace.
As Billz66 stated, RTP streams from handset to handset, so as longs as there's routing between the handsets and RTP ports are open, you should not have any issue.
RTP on external calls are different as RTP is anchored.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

Currently the voice is not segmented on its own vlan as it should be (I inherited this mess), but there are no access rules in place in between the different subnets (it's all wide open). We turned off IPv6 multicast that was on three switches that were trunked to one of the core switches and it apparently has subsided the issue. We do not use IPv6, so I'm still a little stumped as to how turning that off seemed to improve/resolve the issue. No other changes were made.

If you have devices on different subnets your 3300 needs to know those subnets as "trusted". In a physical 3300 it's the IP Network List inside the form IP Routing. In MSL it's called Trusted Networks. Even if you have correct working routes in the network itself between both subnets and the controller, it will drop voice packets from outside its trusted networks.

Hi MTL7, when the audio dropped was it for like 3 or 4 seconds and then come back on it's own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back