Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant have evryone logged on at once 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martix

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
I inherited an NT4.0 installation, SP6. If there is more than 10 users attached ( not sure its always exactly 10 )at one time it gives an error message at the desktop that reads "the network can not handle your request at this time, please try again later" if i sgut off another machine on the network then the original machine will log on, i have checked the liscensing and there is a 25 user liscense installed and its not per seat. any help would be greatly appreciated....

Are you sure its NT 4.0 Server and not NT 4.0 Workstation? NT Workstation (and Windows 2000 Professional) have a 10-user limit.

Yes it is server, checked that first sorry should have mentioned that

I don't think this is a licensing problem. I think you would see a lot of errors in the event viewer on the server if this was a licensing issue. (You may want to check the event viewer on the server for licensing errors...Event IT 202 is for OUT OF Licenses)

I'm not sure of your total environment...but you might check to make sure this wasn't set up: (Limit concurrent users)

or

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

O.K event viewer clean and limit concurrent connections is not running, however i did just discover this is an NFR copy even though it says 25 liscense i have the feeling it isnt, grrrrrr. i assume i need to purchase a new copy of NT 4.0 or 2000 to get this working, pease tell me if this is true

How many servers do you have? How many clients do you have?

In general, if you have more than one server, you should license PER Seat.

If you only have one server, your better off with per server.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

BTW thanks for all the help
It is a single server environment, no web servers, at most there will be 22 people connected to the server at any one time during peak, this includes 3 vpn over a red creek ravlin system. more likely about 15-18 steady connections.

I'm not sure if you can "upgrade" the NFR copy, but you should get a 'real' 25-user package.

Rhanks for the help, already ordered a new 2000 server system, just gonna back up all the information on the exisiting one and start my own from scratch, Gotta love it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back