Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant get Wireless to work -lInksys befsr41 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2003
US
I bought a nice new laptop(running XP home) It has a built in network adapter
I thought it would be nice to have wireless at home so I bought the linksys wireless router and Card for my laptop

But I cant get the darned thing to work !
If I attach a network cable I can use it just fine
but If I go wireless, I cant get to the router at all (destination host unreachable)
I know the card is installed properly, No conflicts or problems.
I have disbled the network adapter to try and just use
witreles but no good

I had a previous laptop without built in NW card and wireless ran fine.

any help would be appreciated !

Hi Floridaflyer

Does your router also acts like a ACCESS POINT?
If not you will need to have a access point device to make it all work. Access Point is a little transmitter, which transmits radio freq in you home or office.

Ok lets get your laptop up and running.

1. You have 2 options.
A. Making your router into both DNS (which translates ip address to netbios name such like &quot;Yahoo.com&quot; and DHCP <--You will also need to know your ISP's DNS adress so you go surf the net. which automatically gives IP addresses to all of your network computers.
B. Or manually enter IP address, DNS, and Gateway address to each of your networked computers.

Ip: should be something like 192.168.1.2 or
192.168.2.2 < x.x.x.1 or .254 <- address are only to be used for routers (gateways) your subnet mask should be set to 255.255.255.0
When your finished entering, and configuring your computers and router. Turn everything off. Then turn your router on first and then turn on you computers.. Making sure of course that you have a &quot;link&quot; to your wireless router and or access point.

Any futher questions please let me know.

the BEFSR41 doesnt support wireless connection. Better yet you buy a BEFW11S4 that is a router that have a built in wireless access point.

FYI

floridaflyer,

First go to the wireless router and write down the SSID setting, the Preamble setting (if available), the WEP key if used, and the Channel assignment.

Then go to the configuration settings for your card and make certain that all the settings from above are identical. Remember that the SSID is often case-sensitive.

Finally, check the TCP/IP settings for the wireless card. Make sure you are set to &quot;obtain an address automaticly&quot; for IP and DNS.

Thanks guys !
all your help enabled me to fix this problem !

the beer is on me !

The point you find yourself at now is right where I was two years back when I began to understand just how much W11S4 disliked walls. Especially 2 or 3. Since my background is RF I decided to move the point up into the attic and hope it would benefit from the elevation whileI experimented with different radiation patterns or stubbing in a unity gain corner relector tuned to that freq. After awhile it was apparent to me that I was trying to gold plate a cropolite so I took my RF hat off and used the router in a wired LAN where everything is perfect and wonderful with no security issues from an evesdrop breakins. The future stansards look promising. Do I get a beer now?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I had my new home wired for cat 5 and all leading to my home office where I have a nice little setup going on.

I'm not yet sold on wireless even tho its working now because of the issues I had and the security issue.

I'm a nice guy - yeah you get a beer too !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back