Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get w95 to detect and install my cd rom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

leart3

Technical User
Aug 4, 2000
US
I'm unable to get win95 to detect and install my cd rom drive even though the drive is physically connected, it lights up, it spins, it's installed in CMOS, and it's listed in the BIOS on boot-up.&nbsp;&nbsp;What could my problem be?<br><br>leart3

A sure cure is to install the DOS drivers in your config.sys file, and load MSCDEX.EXE in your autoexec.bat file. Use you CD-ROM manufacturer's installation disk if you have one. <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

If it is on the same IDE Channel as your HDD, or an Internal ZIP; make sure the jumpers are set to the proper master/slave settings.&nbsp;&nbsp;If that's correct I would go the the manufactures Web site and pick up any new drivers.&nbsp;&nbsp;If all else fails install the DOS drivers.&nbsp;&nbsp;although I don't like doing it as it takes up some conventional memory.<br><br>Good Luck,<br>Alex

I would take Clive's suggestion only to the point of troubleshooting the problem. If it works with the Dos drivers installed, then you don't have a hardware problem or switch configuration issue.<br><br>You may want to check to see if you are getting a ! bang on the hard disk controller. If so, the 32bit drivers are no loading and that is why Windows does not see the CD. If there is a ! check out the performance tab for clues as to the cause. If it indicates the MBR being modified you should use a clean boot disk with an Anti-Virus utility to clean the boot sector. If it merely indicates it is running in compatibility mode then you may want to search the registry for NOIDE. If found, delete and reboot to get the drive detected.<br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Try in Control Panel-&gt;add new hardware-&gt;next-&gt;next-&gt;and have it search for any hardware.&nbsp;&nbsp;Might work, you should also find the make and manufacutrer of the cdrom.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go on their website and download the latest version of the drivers for win95<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"In the beginning there was HTML, and it was good"<br>
by Nick Heinle, Designing with JavaScript<br>
<br>
<br>

Clive:<br>Alex:<br>Doug:<br><br>The full story on my situation is as follows:<br><br>I'm transfering an old hard drive into a new system, and&nbsp;&nbsp;windows did not load all the drivers after detection and installation.&nbsp;&nbsp;The system hung with the error message:&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;While initializing devise IOS:&nbsp;&nbsp;Windows Protection error.&nbsp;&nbsp;You need to restart your computer&quot;.<br><br>When I restart, the system will boot to the startup menu with the safe mode highlighted.&nbsp;&nbsp;After the time runs out or I hit enter it will go back to that IOS errow message.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Earlier I deleted all the devices from &quot;Device Manager&quot; and tried the process again, but that didn't work, but at that time I was able to access &quot;Safe Mode&quot; (Can't get safe mode now) and I was able to observe that there was no CD Rom Driver in My Computer (evidently during detection w95 deleted the old cd rom icon) , but the old CD Rom was indicated in Device Manager, but I deleted that part since w95 wasn't reading the drive anyway, but this was the old drive info.<br><br>I tried to install a dos CD Rom driver but I'm not familar with the process.&nbsp;&nbsp;I downloaded a driver from Booddisk.com, but it didn't have an installation file (dos) and when I check it on another w95 machine I get warning messages about the risk of running a dos program in windows so I left it alone.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I think, to correct my problem I'll have to use a dos procedure to access the CD Rom and install the drivers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Whether that would solvve the total problem to make windows run remains to be seen.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>By the way I have the proper drivers (I think) but they are on a CD Rom disk, but I have to get them installed.<br><br><A HREF="mailto:leart3@altavista.com">leart3@altavista.com</A>

The picture is a little clearer now.<br><br>While running in Safe Mode you will not be able to access the CD-Rom drive...similar to what I described before in that the 32bit drivers are not loaded.<br><br>The nature of your issue is more critical than simply being unable to get the Cd-Rom detected. The IOS problem is preventing you from booting normally. Although this problem may have many cuplprits you can try one or two things. First, boot to Safe Mode Command Prompt only.<br><br>Type DIR SMARTDRV.EXE /S. Rename all instances of this found on your computer. Another option to try and get around this problem is to go to the Windows directory and edit the SYSTEM.INI file. Add the following:<br><br>[VCACHE]<br>MaxFileCache = 6144<br><br>The above two procedures overcome a Windows 95 bug dealing with the way it maps memory when switching from Real mode to Protected mode. Your problem may not have anything to do with this, but what do you have to lose by trying.<br><br>The issue with the Cd-Rom....to get it to work in Dos you need to :<br><br>1. Have the Dos Cd-Rom driver...you may not need the exact one from the manufacturer as there are other generic ones that can be used. Once you get the driver copy it to the C: drive.<br>2. Edit the CONFIG.SYS file and put an entry for your CD driver..ex. - DEVICE=C:\CDROM.SYS /D:IDECD001<br>3. Next, edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and put an entry for the Microsoft CD Extension driver..<br>ex. - C:\Windows\Command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD001<br><br>You can do this on a floppy as well as long as the files are there and you modify the PATH statements.<br><br>Once you boot and the CD loads you can then perform a Win 95 install.<br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

There appears to be another problem here; your Win95 IOS error. I am guessing, but I think you have an AMD K6 2 500+ cpu?<br><br>If so, there is a Win95 problem that needs to be corrected before you can boot properly.<br><br>Let us know exactly what you mainboard, cpu and memory config is.<br><br>Clive <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

Clive:<br><br>That's true It is the AMD 6-2 500.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not at the machine presently but I don't have the MB info, but there is 64m Ram.<br><br><br>Doug:<br><br>I installed the Dir smartdrv file and made the [vcache] entry in the system.ini.&nbsp;&nbsp;There was no improvement in the system windows, still didn't run.

OK. Take one step at a time. First you need to get Windows running. Windows 95 does not properly support the AMD above 350 (or 300?).Try to do the following:<br>1. Clock your CPU down to 300Mhz, either my MB jumbers or CMOS, depending on your board.<br>2. Use your startup disk to boot. I will presume your HDD is propely partitioned and formatted.<br>3. Install your CD-ROM's dos drivers - see earlier posts.<br>4. Do a clean install of Windows 95. It will be slow due to the CPU being clocked down.<br>5. Win 95 should install okay. Install all devices and setup your internet connection.<br>6. Mosey over to Microsoft and download the AMD patch for 95, I don't have my notes with me but I think it's AMDUPDATE.EXE (?). Or search the knowledge base using IOS Error as keywords.<br>7. Install the patch and shutdown.<br>8. Clock your CPU back to the correct speed and all should work OK.<br>Note that this is caused by a Win 95 problem and not your CPU (MS acknowledgement).<br> <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

clive:<br><br>I lowered that cpu speed to 300, but i'm under the impression that in addition to installing the cdrom lines in auto and config, I also have to get a copy of a generic cd rom file to copy to the root directory (C:).&nbsp;&nbsp;Is it possible to find that file on the net?&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm not familiar as to what that file would look like.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I was trying to avoid a &quot;Clean Install&quot; of W95 since I have Ver &quot;B&quot; and my disks (Floppies) are Ver &quot;A&quot; and I don't have a disk for Ver &quot;B&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't think I even have a valid start-up disk because when I reinstalled the &quot;Real Mode&quot; files (sys c:) yesterday I'm now getting an error message indicating, &quot;this version of windows does not run on ms-dos 7,00 or earlier&quot;. So my start-up disk might be for ver &quot;A&quot;. <br><br>I'll just have to copy my important files on floppies through DOS, clean the disk and install Ver &quot;A&quot; and if your theory is correct, with the lower CPU speed, windows should load ok and the cd rom drive should be detected and installed through windows and the dos cdrom file would not be needed.<br><br>I was trying to avoid cleaning the disk, but now that appears to be the best option since i've put so much stuff on the disk lately.&nbsp;&nbsp;As you said, once I get windows operating I'll check microsoft website for the AMD 6-2 500 patch.<br><br>leart3

clive:<br><br>I forgot to indicate that Motherboard Model# which is: <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Super Socket 7 M598LMR V 1.3A<br><br>What kind of problem would I run into (if any) if I did a deltree on windows95-B and reinstall w95-A.&nbsp;&nbsp;Would other files that previously operated under B work alright under A?<br>Or should I just back-up and clean the disk since it's not a good idea to run the Ver A setup over Ver B since they are not necessarily compatible.<br><br>leart3 <br>

Win95B is FAT32; 95A is FAT16. This method will not work. If you have data that you need to keep, and you have no other tools at your disposal, then yep you only option will be to put them on stiffys. Also realise that if you had Ver B installed, but only have Ver A source, you will have to do FDISK and re-partition as FAT16, then FORMAT and then install from A:.<br>A clean installation should install your CD-ROM ok, unless you have an older Creative item, which often requires DOS driver installation.<br>Look, proceed as outlined, and if you cant get the CD-ROM to be &quot;seen&quot; by Windows, let me know and I will e-mail you an installation set. <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

I can't install win95 on a Pentium 4 with SCSI drive (IOS Problem), I try all the things like change de system.ini autoexec.bat and config.sys and nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back