Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't get usb cd-rw to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfixall

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US
I have a maddog 52x cd-rw external usb connect.Every time I reboot windows sees it and asks to install the drivers.The website for the device states that there are no drivers required for it.I cannot ever see this device in windows explorer, so there for I cannot use it.Any advice out there?

could be one or alot of problems...
I'll assume it has external Power supply.
try to unplug the USB cable only (leave power hooked up and "on" to CD-RW) from back/front of PC only....then reboot and when up and running, then reconnect USB cable to PC...

Next, right click My Computer, choose properties>Device Manager>click View devices by type.....go down to USB Serial Bus Controller...double click....
Do you have
1)USB Root Hub...and
2)Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller... or similar?

Do a find for,
uhcd.sys
usbhub.sys
usbd.sys
These should be in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Your System Info/Config would be helpful....
Does your System have USB 2.0 capabilities>....how about CD-RW?

TT4U
Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

thanks tektippy4u, I have tried all that you speak of with no luck.You ask about the System, well I have tried it on all 4 computers that I have.ASll are running win 98se. 3 are pentium 2 and the laptop is AMD-6.One of the pc's has an IDE cd-rw installed using NTIcd software.On all what happens is that when the USB plug is inserted a notification window appers saying that "new hardware is found" and then the dialog box appers saying that I must install drivers for this hardware.As I read on the website There are no drivers for this hardware.I have sent e-mails(2) to the tech support@mdmm.com but have not received any reply as yet.Could there be a problem with the firmware uf the usb interface or the cd-rw itself?I am still hoping for some responce from the manufacturer be for packing it up and returning to the place of purchase.One should not spend precious time on second rate equipment!!!!

I think that there is a patch to make USB work in Windows98se. Try Google for Windows98 USB.

Chris C.

I have an external BusLink USB 2.0 CD-RW...and it works fine, even though I have win98(USB 1.1 only).....Though I did need to install the USB 2.0 drivers on accompanying CD, and I suffer with 1.1 speeds cause of port limitations..

Win98 SE came with USB 2.0 support, however a patch may be needed....I can't imagine not needing drivers.

you didn't really answer my question about;
1)Do a find on the PC for,
uhcd.sys
usbhub.sys
usbd.sys
These should be in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

And
2)Device Manager

Do you have Win98 SE CD...the Drivers may be on there...
just direct it to the CD-ROM with 98 SE in it, when prompted to "install drivers"..
If no go, then plug in the cdrw fully hooked up as you have been(with USB in) and go to Control Panel>Add New Hardware.....let windows do it's detection thing......then read "details" to make sure it has found your device.....and install the drivers.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

tektippy4u, I have all the files in sys32/drivers.Yes, I tried installing from the add/remove programs and the same windows appeared.I tried steering to the windows insallation disk but the drivers are not what it wants.I did recieve an e-mail from the Mfg's support person who informs me that I must use the installation CD that comes with the unit.I informed him once again that there was nothing in the box that resembales such a CD.Maybe I will recieve the proper installation disk and all will be well.If so I will find out which drivers are needed and inform you then.Thanks for your help, I did check the link and followed the advice given but did not get the drive to work..

Just one more thing to look at while your waiting on delivery of CD w/drivers (hopefully)........(BTW, thanks for being concise in your replies)....If you go into Device Manager, do you see
1)USB Root Hub and
2)USB Host Controller
Both will be under USB Serial Bus Controller......If Not.......you may have to add through Add New Hardware in Control Panel as I suggested earlier, (not Add/Remove Programs as you replied.....probably just a typo on your part?)....:>).
Under 'Properties' for each one above, Drivers Tab>Driver File Details....for each...does it say;
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD (NTKERN.vxd)...this is the mini-port driver necessary (I'm almost positive).

It would be nice to wait for CD.....without futsin around with your PnP option in BIOS and on PCI Bus Device enumeration......as these options can cause serious mis-configuration......
I also have a PII with win98 and ATAPI DVD/CD-ROM drive as Secondary Master...
Do the other 2/3 PC's have CD-ROM IDE...?
I'm asking because of Device Management Controller Configuration....although I wouldn't think all three/four are setup wrong....
I really would get the drivers specific to that CD-RW first.....
If you can't, then return that garbage......:>)......and get a better one (Lite-On is cheap and solid, comes with Nero Cd Burning software also).
Good luck.......and post back whenever with updates.....

In the meantime, maybe follow the links through the usbman link just to learn more.....there's m$ links there too....

TT4U

Notification:

tektippy4u, Thanks again The NTKERN.vxd driver is present in all the computers and yess they all have cd-roms, one has a dvd rom and cd-rw.it is hard to imagine that today someone would manufacture and sell something that is so difficult to install using a USB interface.I will wait till the proper CD arrives or like you say "get rid of that garbage".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back