Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get update for XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash64

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
I go to the windows update site and it says "
Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use Windows Update"

I have never seen this happen before. I have tried ways around this but it always leads me back to that :( any ideas?

What exactly is your question? Is it internet explorer that takes you there each time you start it up , or what?

Please provide more details so someone can help. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Internet explore takes me there each time I try to go to the Microsoft Windows update site. I have checked the security settings on the computer and the firewall and nothing should be interfering with it. The automacted updates don't seem to work ethier.

I would verify connectivity and proxy (if applicable) settings.

Can you browse?

Is it a full install or an upgrade?

best regards,
Van

Is it just possible you've downloaded all there is available?

I can browse the internet and local network, it's a full install. If I had all the updates I would think it would still let me into the windows update site and let me scan for updates, at least that's what the XP machines I have seen do that.

if your registration code is on one of their pirate lists or they think it is bogus they are denying access to the update page. Also, I've heard that SP1 kills XP if it has a known pirated code...

I'm not implying anything, just mentioning it... Michael Phipps
Technical Business Analyst
Mercy Health Plans

Let me take a guess your firewall is SYGATE. IF so what happening is you have stealth mode browsing enabled. If this is enabled no site includings Mr Gates cant detect any version of windows running thus giving you that notice. Turn of your firewall then try again. Let us know

Why would (s)he be running Sygate? I use Sygate on my win98/2000 machines and it is a great product, but on XP the native security is plenty sufficient. I have run the security scans from both Sygate and Symantec and neither was able to poke any holes in it.

Just an observation. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com

I understand that Dave, I too use Sygate. Its a great product. But if you go into the security tab and check "enable stealth browsing" and try to use the Win Updates your going to get that message. Try it yourself .. You will see

Idkillforyou, I'd be glad to use a valid key for XP but since M$ have been complete morons with this new activation feature, I cannot even do a simple upgrade without having to phone up support and getting them to change it.
Now I am forced into getting a corporate edition version and so far its worked great, I can get updates from the site with no problems anymore.
Also, MHP guy, do you have any articles on those M$ security features that you've mentioned? I've heard a lot of rumours and speculation regarding similar topics.
Thats all I'm going to say about this, as I can get into quite a rant about the breach of privacy this M$ company has enforced.
Anyways, lets get back to helping Crash64 with his problem. ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:
It works better if you plug it in.

Hey, hernandez...

I don't think I will try any downloads anytime soon cuz the experience I have had so far with XP updates has not been good.

I installed four updates (pre-SP1) for "security reasons" and somewhere along the line I ended up with a system that would mysteriously restart with no warning. This pissed off my wife no end, so I reinstalled the OS and left it alone and -- bingo, no more problem.

Anyone else had this same problem with updates?

Also, while on the subject, what is so good about the Sygate stealth mode that it should be used? Email me! denodave@yahoo.com

So this is where you're all hiding -- I had the same thread with few responses elsewhere.

You folks raise an issue that concerns me: I've had the same problem as Crash64 (SP1, in particular, won't recognize my XP... downloads but won't install from Win Update), and I've also had to have my code changed (no, not pirated, just screwed up when first installed and had to re-register). So do I have to call them again or risk losing my OS?

I've also heard disabling the firewall will get around the issue, but haven't tried it cuz I thought it was drastic. Please advise. I, too, have an angry wife factor, but really don't want to reinstall the OS. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back