Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get the date field format to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgerlitz

Technical User
Oct 2, 2004
US
I have this string in the input mask of a field "99/99/00;0;_". I want to have the format be 5/21/05 but it keeps showing up as 5/21/2005. I have tried "9/99/00;;_" as well with the same results. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks for your help

Hi
Is your format different from your input mask? Maybe general date rather than dd/mm/yy? [ponder]

This is the format from the input mask in the properties box. I have even tried to edit the existing formats--shows that it works in the example but then does not work when I use it in the form. Is there an over riding format for the entire program that is forcing it to default to this. You mention "general date rather than dd/mm/yy"--what is "general date". thanks again

The Input Mask is how the user is asked to enter data, the Format is how the data will be displayed. Both the field in the table and the control on the form have a format property. Short Date and Long date are taken from the Regional and Language Setting (XP) in the control panel. As far as I recall, Access defaults to short date format, unless you say different by, say, specifying dd/mm/yy, or, in your case, mm/dd/yy as the format (unless that is the short date that you have set in the control panel). General Date is Short Date with Time tacked on.[dazed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back