Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Get Smooth Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

burmapunk

Technical User
Jul 3, 2003
US
Hi! I guess this question is for the designers out here. I have a problem trying to get my images in dreamweaver the way they would appear in photoshop or illustrator. They turn out with a jagged look and some resolution is lost. I save it as a gif image. For example, I imported text from illustrator as a gif image but it turned out with jagged edges. If anyone can help me solve this problem I'll greatly appreciate it!

Cynthia

are you exporting transparent gifs...cuz if you are you will have to manually exclude all colors that comprise of the "jaggies" sually white or grey shade. only way to do this unfortunatly.

sometime you just gotta say "WHAT THE @#*% !!"

Yup, they are saved as transparent gifs. I don't get jagged edges if the text have a background color to it. So that means the color white is causing the jagged edges?

" you will have to manually exclude all colors that comprise of the "jaggies" sually white or grey shade."

How do I do this? I'm a bit confused!

Cynthia

What if you save the image as a jpeg? Jpeg supports more colors than gif, so there should be less jagging. The image file size will increase ofcourse but u have to decide on the tradeoff.

Harshdeep

well if you want the background to show through then a transparent gif is te way to go. also if you image is comprised of solid colors horizontal or diagonal then gifs are the way to go however if the image consisist of complicated color schemes then go with jpgs.

but to answer your question if you are using say fireworks then when you go to export wizard you will see a color pallette on the left comprising of all the colors in the image. Just trash the colors you dont want to include this is the easiest way to explain this right now.

In photoshop go to save for web and now the pallette in on the right. same concept as above.

I tried saving the text image in photoshop as a transparent gif too and that came out worse than illustrator. I don't have fireworks btw (but lots of people do tonight!) I work with only photoshop & illustrator. I tried using a background color for the gif image but the color never matches with the its deciheximal color in dreamweaver. I don't know if I'm doing this right also. I go into photoshop, pick a web color as background color, then I use that deciheximal color in dreamweaver too, but I still see a small difference in color. If anyone can tell me how to match up the colors I can do it that way.

well i do that and the colors work for the most part 98% of the time

"but I still see a small difference in color"
--every application has differenct way of "presenting" itself....if u use hex format ur OK...that is it.
If ur lazy (for some reson :) ) to work with hex format what u could try is taking a screenshot of your HTML(or whatever) in browser and then use color picker in PS to match the color....
these are the 2 quickest ways I found but I mostly just use 1st
all the best

> need more info?
:: click here ::

also don't forget to account for monitor-screen defficiencies and distortions and reslotions...gama loader for PS.....

> need more info?
:: click here ::

The quickest approach is to import the backgound color as described lebisol, and use that as a canvas color on which to build your gif. Then your graphic will automatically be aliased correctly and the edges will look correct.

If you are building strictly for the web then vector graphics are overkill (Illustrator). If you are losing resolution review your export settings. Fireworks lacks some of the functionality of Photoshop (not much) but is quicker for web work.

Ramble on....

Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from (or ignorance of) the problem.

BT

i don't think that i saw this solution posted yet, but all i do is file > save for web and then set the matte color as that of your intended background color. for example, if you are using a black image (#000000) on a white bg (#FFFFFF) then set the matte to #FFFFFF and the image should appear smooth. it works with both .gif & .jpg. hope that's helpful.

kevo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back