Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant get Remote desktop to work (ftp is also in use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oligocene

Technical User
May 25, 2004
US
I have a linksys router and this is what I have done so far:

I have gone to my router and set port 3389 to fardward to my local computer ip (the one I want to have the remote desktop)

192.168.1.100 is what I needed to use (same thing as for the ftp)

I set the options to allow remote desktop connections... but when i try to access the computer through my IP... (cox ip or w/e) it doesnt work... and yes I want to access my home computer from the outside...

What could be wrong...

So called dynamic routing is disabled (both TX and RX are) and the router is set to be "gateway"

UPnP is what i use to forward .. and it IS set to be TCP =-/

Second problem:!!!!
I do have a problem with something else that might not be related but I cant connect to p2p programs.. or do any sort of connection like that where I would download something.. and it would download the full program... such programs that do this include:

real player, virus updates.. etc etc

I cant do this and it maybe do to the fact I installed a program to set up an "advanced" proxy.... I have gone to IE settings and nothing shows up there.. but I am sure my problem with "Special" downloads has to do with that one program...
I have no idea what the program was...

-------------------------------
Thanks

For your FTP & RD problem, make sure that your router is set so that 'Block WAN Request' is disabled.

The second problem is no doubt due to the proxy software that you installed. Can you not change it's settings or uninstall it?

It is not installed anymore and I have no idea what it was called but it left the settings...

I can use FTP, thats what I use now.. but I cant use RD

I have a related question. I can't help you with your remote desktop question. Unless your service is possibly a Dynamic service where you need a static service. Maybe your router requires a specific port for Remote Desktop?

My stupid question is this. I am trying to set up an FTP. I haven't been able to do it on a dynamic IP address. I should be able to do this. I would just lose the connection when the address changes. How can you tell what IP address your ISP is broadcasting...your Public IP address. You can type in ipconfig and get your local IP and that is good while you are within your network, but what about when you go outside of the network?

Sorry to ask a question on your post, but I thought you could help.

Regards,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back