Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't get proper color or resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenix

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
US
I can't figure out why I can't get past 16 color or basic 480 resolution on an AMD K6-2/350 computer running W98SE. The card it came with was a SIS 6326 AGP v1.25. All I could find on the SIS site was v1.21 as far as doing an update. I ran its setup from the D drive and it didn't fix the problem. Also tried to install the new drivers from DEv. Mgr driver update, but it said it couldn't find the required information when I directed it to D:\driver\w98
I've tried a different AGP video card, an S3Trio64 GFK 43105, but still couldn't get past 16 colors. Also tried a few different known good monitors and looked in the bios setup for anything that can be changed, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I tried removing the AGP cards and going with some PCI cards but the screen wouldn't light up when I did this.

Would a bios update be the next logical step to try to get more color and resolution? Is there a setting that I'm overlooking in the bios setup ? Can it be an Operating System problem ? It has a fresh install from a disk that I've used for years.

It has an award bios, ROM PCI/ISA 2a5KKG5C. The chip has V4.51PG 189196937 written on it, with a sticker that says 1.06.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

In Display Properties, what monitor is listed? Changing to a generic svga monitor might help. I am not in front of a Win98 mqchine right now but I remember that being a problem every time I re-installed Win98.

thanks for the reply and tip. Can't get to it until
Thursday and will let you know results. Another suggestion
I got was that 98 generic drivers sometimes are "sticky" and have to be removed manually, I guess in the properties driver tab in Dev Mgr.

I'll try a repost in W98 forum if these don't work, as it's leaning towards a software issue.

You might also try a standard display type for super VGA.
Comes up under show all hardware, top line, standard display types. Won't be full capability but better than what you have. (maybe)

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

SiS 6326 v1.32 for Win98/ME

Code:
File Name                6326_132_win98me.zip
Version                  v1.32
Release Date             2002-11-14
Support Products         SiS6326, SiS6326AGP, SiS6326DVD,
File Size                1,997KB
Support OS               Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I really appreciate all the replys and everyone's time to give me suggestions

The SIS card was intermittent and then outright
died, no display. I put in a Trident 3dimage and downloaded
it's drivers and it went well and I have my high color and high resolution.

Now on to an ISA sound card install and modem config, (my fav !!), then to set up a Netzero free acct, then in a box for a charity cause.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back