Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't get out of safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Suddenly my computer only boots up in safe mode. I have checked in the system configuration utility and it says to start up normally. Am I crashed permanently, or is there a good idea? Thank you for your help!

Hold down F8 during bootup and select Normal Mode at the startup menu.

You may also have a driver or setting problem (i.e. Video,etc.), so check device manager for conflicts (right-click "My Computer," "properties" "device manager").

I've fielded a few support calls at work on this over the last few months.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that you're in Safe Mode? ...and not that the screen res has just defaulted back to 640x480? Does it actually show "Safe Mode" in each corner?

It does NOT say "safe mode" in the corners!! So how do I change the resolution back to normal? Thanks!!

windows 98 will not boot, just hangs in normal mode.
it will boot in safe mode fine.

the short answer is reload your vid card drivers

in device manager, display adaptors, what does it say?
are there circles, exclams, etc, by the vid card?

do u know what vid card it has? do u have a driver disk?

:-Q x->

To set resolution, right click an open area on desktop, click settings tab. You can set colors and screen area here.
Bill Burnette
A+, Network+

Sorry, I left out "click properties" after right clicking on desktop
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back