Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get on LAN with Win'2K Pro PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

M5wannabe

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
CA
Any ideas why my PC operating on Win'2K pro cannot see, or be seen by, 3 other PCs on the LAN operating on Win'95/98? The network icon is on and the LEDs on the LAN hub are showing OK. The Win'2K setup says the networking is plug and play. Maybe I am missing something that needs to be set up? Suggestions are welcome!

1. Is 2k using the same network protocol as rest, and if that's TCP/IP, has it got an IP address in same range assigned.
2. Does it belong to the same workgroup
3. Have you shared resources on it
4. Is/are there an account(s) set up on the 2k machine which match the user name/password(s) used to log onto win9x machines.

Make sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled, or the PC wont show up when you look for it in network neighborhood. you also wont be able to see any PCs in network neighborhood. I hope this helps you.

LAN Manager Authentication Level needs to be downgraded to Send NTLM response only. Control panel, administrative tools, Local Security Policy, Local Policies, Security Options, LAN Manager Authentication Level double click, change local policy setting to Send NTLM response only.

1) Can you ping each other?
2) Run ipconfig /all on the w2k machine, (Not sure if it works pre w2k, and see if anything stands out.
3) Has it ever worked?
4) What is your setup? DHCP, DNS, WINS etc.
5) Try using a hosts and lmhosts file on all machines and see what happens. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

You might also need to turn on "Printer and File Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the network settings screen. On the Win2K box, right click the My Network Places icon and select Properties from the drop-down menu. Right click Local Area Connection and again select Properties from the drop down. If File sharing is not installed, shoose Add and install it. If it is there, make sure it is checked.

Do this AFTER you have confirmed IP address and network type.

HTH,
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back