Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get network to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaynes54

Technical User
Mar 9, 2004
US
I have two computers, both running XP Pro, networked using a Ethernet switch. Computer 2 (Lynn) uses computer 1's (Randall) internet connection (dialup) with no problem. Both are in the same workgroup (Haynes). When I "view workgroup computers" on Randall, I can see both computers, but when I click on Lynn's icon, I get this error message:

"\\Lynn is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.

The network path was not found."

When I "view network computers" on Lynn, I get the error message:

"Haynes is not accessible. is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

On both computers I can go to "Start" "Run" and then put in \\ and the IP address of the other computer and when I press "Enter" I can see the other computer and access all shared folders. I can set up shared printers on both machines and access them using the IP address. If I search for the other computer by name, it is not found.

On both machines I have given full control to all users to eliminate permission problems. I have disabled the internet firewall on both machines. Both machines are running EZ Trust antivirus I do not believe it has any firewall built in (I'm not sure on this and don't know how to find out)

Any ideas on what might be configured wrong?

Randy

Sounds to me you don't have your permissions set correctly. Make sure you have sharing setup and there is a user on both computers that matches.

Add to computer A the usernames and passwords of Computer B as new users.
Add to computer B the usernames and passwords of Computer A as new users.

Do both computers have to have all the same users with all the same passwords or just one common to both?

I got the answer from a consultant. The problem was with the IP configuration Node Type. On one computer it was Peer - Peer and that caused the problem. After removing that key from the registry and rebooting, the Node Type for that machine was "Unknown" and it worked fine. On the other machine the Node Type is "Mixed"

Thanks for the help.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back