Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant get msn past firewall even thou all ports are open

Status
Not open for further replies.

nTT911

Instructor
Jan 30, 2005
SE
This is not, and i repeat not another "HELP!!! my msn doesn't work" problem.

This is the scenario; I have about 120 users, win xp mostly, and a server running Windows Server 2003. Lately, for some reason, msn just stopped working. Thinking it was their usual downtime i ignored the complaints. But after about 1 month of constant downtime I was convinced to look into it. After some simple tests i can outrule the MSN servers involvement. When i connect my laptop directly to the internet, past everything else (firewall etc.) I can connect fine. But as soon as im behind the firewall I get nothing. I used Sysinternals TCPView to see if they hade changed ports for msn but its still 1863, opened that and still nothing... I tried opening all ports from inside to outside in the firewall, but i still get nothing. This is very wierd. The problem doesn't seem to be the firewall nither... So anyone got i clue?

It's the same problem on all client computers...

You ought to post this is some of the other more closely related forums if you want an answer. This really is a networking issue. Good luck.

Do you mean you connected your laptop both direct and via the network/firewall. I'm thinking that MSN patched messenger recently and won't let the old version connect. Just a thought.

Hehe i had by mistake created an ip series of the once that msn use on the interface inside, which lead to that all connection towards any ip in that series was directed by the firewall to the local lan :D

Thnx for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back