Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get IP Adress with DHCP Enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcrun

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
My ISP is Comcast and I get internet access via cable modem and a Linksys 4-port Router BEFSR41.
With or without the router I cannot get an IP adress with DHCP enabled. I am trying to get internet access throuhg the cable modem alone.

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-89-DA-23

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.39.224.5

Sorry - but got to ask about the physical layer first.

Do you get a link light when you connect the PC or the router to the cable modem?

I have the exact same setup here at home, including Comcast and I recognize the DNS entries in the router - did you manually enter those? I take it your in Jersey..

When this was initally installed was the same PC your using now the one they connected? I know they track the MAC address to try to hold you to one connection, but the LinkSys router you have is the trick for that as long as it was setup with that PC or you entered the MAC address in there.

I currently access the internet via a static Ip adress.
The Link lights on the router and on the cable modem are on.
A Linksys tech assisted me with setting up the static IP setup because Comcast did not want to help.
I entered The Gateway, the DNS and the IP adress manually.
Here is my current IP configuration with the static IP address:

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : comcast.net

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I applied the WinsockFix and I rebooted.
My IP settings are still the same.

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I will work on the other solution and report back

I don't understand how you can be getting DNS server and DHCP server info, but not picking up an IP, subnet mask or gateway. Are you certain that everything is set to automatic?

I am baffled also. I've tried everything and still unable to use DHCP.

according to the first 3 bytes (ieee vendor code) of your physical address your using the LinkSys physical address.

I had to configure my router to use the physical address of the Computer that was initially installed to the cable modem because they were locking me down.

The LinkSys will let you configure this - but you do need to know the physical address of the computer in question.

by the way, may i know what modem are you using? and also, can you please try to verify the IP add with your ISP. cause sometimes, there are some ISPs that would like the IP add configured manually...have a copy of that and you can assign that IP add first on you PC(connection is directly to your cable modem)....if that will work, connect the router on the network and the router will be your DHCP server...it will automatically assign an IP add on your PC...the only thing that you need to do is to manually configure your router so that it would be able to "talk" with your cable modem....hope this could help....

one thing more, aside from the IP add, try to know also the subnet mask, the default gateway, and the DNS servers...good day!!!

I am using an RCA cable modem, model# DCM305R.

Comcast did not want to help me since they do not want customers to use routers. Comcast does not like Static IP address. They prefer DHCP.
How do I get my pc's physical adress. It is the same as the MAC adress?
Should I use the MAC adress of the cable modem?

at the pc's command prompt ipconfig /all will give you the Mac address (physical address or hardware address) all the same. Use the Mac from the PC and configure it to the Wan interface of the LinkSys (the one connected to the cable modem).

let me know.

~CN~

hi...i just would like to confirm if you've already checked your LAN card under the device manager...is it properly installed? if under the device manager, it appears to have an exclamation mark...try to uninstall and reinstall your card first or update the driver... then go back to the device manager and look if the exclamation mark is still there... if its ok, check again your IP add...just make sure that the network card registered there is the same as the network card that you have installed...when you chack the IP add, copy all the info including the network add or the physical add (MAC add), you will be needing those info when you will be connecting the linksys router on your network...

oh, and you were able to get a valid IP add, connect your PC on any of the numbered ports on your router...then your cable modem on the wan port...make sure that the lights are lit...then try to check again your IP add...it should be in the range of your routers IP which is 192.168.1.xxx...then after that go to your router's web utility page by typing 192.168.1.1 on the address bar of your web browser...go to the advance tab then mac clone tab...type the mac add or the physical add there...then hit apply...check on the status tab if you can get IP add...if not...restart your PC... then check again on the status page if you can obtain IP from your ISP...hope this works...good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back