Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get into setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

doylejerry

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
First post, trying to work on old comp,compaq deskpro 2000.unable to get into setup. Tried every variable of entry mentioned on compaq site. Appears to be old network company, I assume with administrator control. Tried resetting pins for cmos, also f10, delete, keeps referring back to f1 for boot. Working on old comps to try and learn but over my head, all help appreciated.

All I can tell you is that it is normally F10 when the flashing cursor goes to the right top of the screen. Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

You mentioned Compaq site, if you can get there, download the setup software (usually will make boot floppy) & boot to it, normal Compaq should run diag & BIOS setup from floppy.

Servicegenie tip has worked in the past for me on old Compaq 590. If that doesn't do it, try booting without keyboard. Sometimes you'll get an error message that can lead to BIOS.

Thanks guys for the helpful responces. I did go again to the compaq site, got the setup info as instructed and it did indeed appear to do the job. Allowed me into setup, twice actually and looked good until I restarted a second time after each try. It again reverted to the old way of not allowing me in setup on f10, the time and date I set were lost on each restart. As I am running this a third time the thought occurred to me the battery might be dead and not allowing the comp to store this info. Does that sound reasonable? I am continueing to work on it, Thanks again for all help...Stop here..Apology in order..Servicegenie,you were right on,after the second startup, I double checked the jumpers. I had taken it off 1 & 2, put on 2 & 3, but had failed to return it to the 1 & 2 pins. It is now working good. Thanks, You guys are great, Sorry bout my stupidity. Doylejerry

souds like your battery needs to be replaced.try that first most likely your bois is comfused because it has lost its information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back