Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't get into safemode, bios or setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetam

Technical User
Sep 28, 2007
US
I have a dell dimension 2400 xp. i can't get it to boot in safe mode or bios. when i press f2, f8, or f12 at boot up, it just hangs there. it will boot up to Windows fine without pressing those options. thanks!

Have you tried a different keyboard? This sounds like a hardware issue, not a xp issue. forum602 might have something.

i have a wireless and ps2 and they both work fine. i am guessing something in the boot.ini file is either missing or disable.

The key to access the bios (F2, F10, del or whatever) is used long before the operating system comes into play - in fact, you don't need an operating system or even a hard drive for that to work. If you can't access the bios it has nothing to do with boot.ini.

FWIW some wireless keyboards will not work until the OS has loaded.

F Lock Key.

"The F Lock key on the Microsoft Keyboards is a relatively new concept facility for Microsoft Keyboards. Introduced with the Office Keyboard and used in later keyboards, it essentially allows keys to do more than one operation. The F Lock key, depending on its state, will allow either a function key's "normal" operation or a new "enhanced" operation. The initial state of the F Lock key is "off", and in this state, the function keys use their "enhanced" operation".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back