Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get into newly purchased Definity(A) ECS R7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KALD

Technical User
Apr 9, 2003
US
Company purchased a used Definity on e-bay. The previous owner doesn't know the init password. Is there a way to reset the system to factory defaults? Is there a way to get around the init user so I can re-configure the system?

Much thanks!

I dont think is possible.
The init password is owned only by Avaya and , as far as i know, the password is generated using something lihe ASG.
Anyway there are other users ( not super users )that can log on into the definity, but is not nice to write them down in a post.
My suggestion is to contact an Avaya supplier and ask them to analyze you needings and setup the machine for you.

Hope this helps.

Mark this post if helpful.

Rgds

You can purchase used hardware to use in the U.S. (providing it's not "Grey-Market"), but the RTU is non-transferable. You will need to contact Avaya to purchase software, features, and RTU for all your applications.

If your system uses a flash card, you can remove the flash card and boot the system. It will come up with a blank database. You can then log in with the factory default passwords.

But CommDude is correct about the RTU license. You would be violating the terms of that agreement.

pansophic

Even if you reboot the system without a flash, you will not be able to program any translations until you give the switch an offer code. You cannot assign an offer code without an init password. If you have a default init password for release 7, setting the offer code without paying RTU to Avaya would make your equipment gray market equipment. Bottom line, there is no way to turn up this equiment without including Avaya and paying software RTU if don't want to have a gray market installation.

If you have a default init password for release 7, setting the offer code without paying RTU to Avaya would make your equipment gray market

While I agree with you, isn't that why the company was trying to accomplish by purchasing the unit on EBAY?

While I agree with you, isn't that why the company was trying to accomplish by purchasing the unit on EBAY?

Could be true, or maybe they did not realize that just owning the hardware did not give them the right to use the software loaded on it and that the software license does not transfer. Also I, and many other people on the forum, are authorized Avaya Business Partners and would not assist anyone trafficing in gray market equipment. There would be nothing wrong with purchasing the equipment on Ebay and purchasing the RTU from Avaya or a business partner.

There would be nothing wrong with purchasing the equipment on Ebay and purchasing the RTU from Avaya or a business partner.

Except the porking Avaya will give this person to license the software.

I've always found the license agreement a little vague. While an Avaya attorney may beg to differ, it appears to be written in terms of the original purchaser explaining that THEY may not sell the software. It really doesn't say anything about using the software. It's no different than Microsoft's fiascos. It's perfectly legal to sell an original copy of Windows. After all, you purchased it. You must remove it from your system first and they make it difficult by requiring the all original paperwork, manuals, certificates, and CD, but you can sell it. I can't see how it's different when you buy R11 software with vectoring. You're not leasing it, you're buying it and therefore should be legal to sell as long as no copies of the software are used. The only grey area I see is hacking INIT as described above. It would be hard/impposible to determine what software the box came with therefore hard to distinguish what should be turned on (i.e. - how many ports, DCS, vectoring, EAS, and all the other ATT "ANOTHER TEN THOUSAND" dollar items.

-CL

The problem has always been that the hardware ships with the complete software application and Avaya would then go in and turn on the portions that the customer has purchased right to use. Since the advent of RFA and feature activations that are tied to a license key and processor serial number, I can't see why they shouldn't allow someone to sell an R10 or later Definity with all the activated software and license.

Pansophic,

Would you contact me off list at benedict_m@dd.palmer.edu?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back