Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get installed language

Status
Not open for further replies.

floydma

Technical User
Mar 1, 2004
US
I'm trying to install VirusScan 7.1 on a Windows 2000 SP4 machine using EPO 3.02a. The installation fails. When I look at the log on the client machine, I see the following:

Verifying VS710Det.McS.
Can't get the installed language for VIRUSCAN7100.
Update finished.

Anybody know what this means? Other machines are installing VirusScan 7.1 normally.

No idea whatsoever. Though I'm now getting the same issue issue so I'm looking into it ...

Ah, forgot I'd posted this...

By observation, the affected nodes actually have VSE7.1 installed. However, it is invariably out of date and the registry entries appear to be missing also.

Performing a repair install (Full repair - do not check for corrupt files) whilst logged in as a local admin seems to solve this issue.

I am waiting for McAfee to come back with a more viable solution.

I have suggested to them adding a command line switch to the deployment task of affected nodes...

No feedback so far...

My gut feeling is that this is permissions related, but the agent should have full system rights...
I suspect the install process is running in the local user rights and not the system rights and this is where the issue occurs if the user is not a local admin.

All this is conjecture at the moment...

Regards

Simon J Cook

< Keyboard Error - Press F1 to continue >

Silly me... I didn't post it... merely watching the thread..

We have the same issue...
My observations above.

Regards

Simon J Cook

Yeah, a reinstall at the machine (rather than from EPO) does the trick. I've got nothing better than that yet either. :-(

could it be a missing reg entry? I have the same problem, and I've noticed on the machines with that problem this key is missing.
I haven't had a chance to test it...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VIRUSCAN7100]

Doh!!

I just checked and my affected machines are missing that key too.

When I get a chance I'm gonna see if adding the Language value under that key does the trick. Not a perfect solution but at least I could do it remotely rather than going round and reinstalling them all.

Didn't work. In fact it deleted the VIRUSCAN7100 key that I had created, taking the Language value with it, obviously.

Yeah, I had to reinstall VirusSCan....

Doh!!

When this problem started occurring, I opened a McAfee Technical Support ticket and imformed them that the VIRUSCAN7100 application plugin key was being removed. The EPO logs had a message similar to "Plugin is being removed". My questions to McAfee were: 1) Why was the plugin being removed? and 2) Is there anything that can be done remotely to fix the problem? Visiting PCs is not a viable option at my place. McAfee did not supply a response to either question.

I've opened a ticket, too. Usual rubbish from them so far. :(

I found this same problem on some of my machines. Here's what I did to fix:

1) Export [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\VIRUSCAN7100] to a reg file. (The whole thing)
2) Import the reg file to an affected machine.
3) Use an Agent Wakeup with Full Properties

Important to note that the first time I tried this, I didn't export the entire key in Step 1. I tried getting away with just the Language key. Once I exported all the keys below ...\Plugins\VIRUSCAN7100 it worked.

YMMV...so far so good in my environment.[thumbsup2]

Has anyone investigated adding a command line switch to the ePO3.x deployment task for affected nodes?

It would be better for the deployment task to reapply the registry settings by performing a repair install of the software.

Manual intervention at the desktop is something to to be avoided IMHO...

Regards

Simon J Cook

Hy,

I've find a solution to repair VirusScan remotely.

I generate a batch with contains the instruction for
reparing virusscan :

msiexec /fm {43D1F052-544F-468E-9944-3791243FF672} /qn

where {43D1F052-544F-468E-9944-3791243FF672} is the GUID
of my version of Virusscan

/fm is here for instructing Windows Installer to repair
the registry part

/qn is here for "doing the things" in silent mode.

After this, from my admin workstation, i place the batch in a temporary folder on the workstations which have this issue and i ask the remote workstations to execute the batch via an AT command.

For example, with a batch named repair-vs7.bat and a remote workstation named STATION1 :

1) i place the batch repair-vs7.bat in the folder
\\STATION1\c$\temp

2) i program the execution of the batch with this command :

AT \\STATION1 14:00 "c:\temp\repair-vs7.bat"

this command ask STATION1 to execute the batch at 2:00 PM

Hi,

it seems that this issue can be fixed if we run SuperDAT file locally on client machine. This could be also done when scheduling agent update task via ePO console (use ePO version which support selective updating).

Good luck,

ZeeBee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back