Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get grouping to put the list in the correct order!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulChilds

Technical User
May 21, 2002
Hello,

I have a report based on a list of song titles. I cannot get the report to do what I want, and keep the alphabetical order right!

In the first line header I have a text box with =Left([song title],1) in it. This creates a title for each group in the form of the first letter of the title. In sorting and grouping I have the following settings:

Group Header = Yes
Group Foooter = No
Group On = Prefix Character
Group Interval = 1
Keep Together = Yes

This works great except that it make the alphabetical order wrong - e.g. a song title beginning 'All' comes before 'Am' but after 'Are' - so it's not like it just been reversed - it's just plain wrong!

Any ideas guys?

Paul C.

If you are using =Left([song title],1), the grouping only occurs on the first letter. If you want the titles listed alphabetically, you still have to sort on the whole title.

You need to sort based on the first letter as you have set up. Then go your menu bar, View -> Sorting And Grouping....you will see an entry for your grouping. Below this include the control that holds the full title name. Set this field to sort ascending, but don't include any grouping headers or footers....you are merely setting this to sort within the letter groups....

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. (Albert Einstein)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, MCP, Network+, A+
w: robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

Robert - I am an Access beginner and having the same problem.... your solution worked beautifully - thanks!
Pat (Techdiva)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back