Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get Group to sort in Crystal 9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilB2

Programmer
Nov 6, 2003
US
I can't get a Group to sort alphabetically, or by number of records per value. The Group is a formula field. The sort seemed random when the sort was Specific order, which I only did to try to exclude some values. When I set the sort to Descending, only 3 out of 12 values were not in correct descending order, by count.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=71806b23-c6ca-4cd5-9231-6c9b669dfa50&file=CRTIT053_-_Copy.zip
Not going to click on a blind link. Please post the formula for your group.

Thank you Charliy. There's no Group selection formula, if that's what you meant. (I've never written one). The formula for the field that is used for the group is below (I replaced actual names with "[names]". I would like the detail section to appear either in descending order by the count (much preferred, since the bar graph appearance is in that order), or in alphabetical order.

if {VTMTRACK.ANALYST} in
"[names]"
then {VTMTRACK.ANALYST}

else if {VTMTRACK.DEVELOPER} in
"[names]"
then {VTMTRACK.DEVELOPER}

else if {VTMTRACK.TECH_ANALYST} in
"[names]"
then {VTMTRACK.TECH_ANALYST}

else if {VREQUESTBASE.REQUESTED_BY} in
"[names]"
then {VREQUESTBASE.REQUESTED_BY}

else if {VTMTRACK.REQUESTED_BY} in
"[names]"
then {VTMTRACK.REQUESTED_BY}

If you want it sequenced by Count, then what you want is a Top N report.

There is a symbol on the menu bar that looks like a graph with a red up-arrow, that is the Group Sort Expert. Click on that and it will walk you thru creating a Top N sort.

It didn't seem to work. I found the same item right under Report > Group Sort Expert, where I had been looking!

Note that the Group Expert seems to require a sort to be selected (ascending, descending, specified order, original order). Wouldn't the Group Sort override that?

This just in: This time, when I selected ascending order in Group Expert, Group Sort Expert became unavailable (grayed out). At least now I have my second choice working, but there seems to be no way now to enable Group Sort Expert! Strange.

I've only done it in CR XI, so I don't know how it may be different in CR 9.

I created a new summary field, based on the correct formula, removed the former field I had incorrectly selected, and it works now! Case closed. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back