Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get DSL to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpiring

Technical User
Aug 3, 2002
US
Switched from 98 to a new XP computer and have spent 25+ hours talking to techies at Microsoft and my ISP to no avail. I have done everything I've been told plus change the values of MTU and still nothing works. Everything is set up correctly with a Speedstream 5360 - the only lights showing are PWR and ENET. I checked the lines and they're fine........What is the miracle solution to this?

I had a similar problem, it turned out that the PPPoE info my ISP gave me was wrong.(still haven't figured out how that happened).

anyways,
Good luck,
Andrew Billits

xpiring,

Is the Speedstream connected directly to the computer's NIC or is there a router/hub?
What type of NIC is it?
How is you NIC configured?

There is a known issue with the 5360 connecting to 10BaseT ports. If the NIC is configured as a 10BaseT or is only capable of 10BaseT, then you will need the firmware upgrade from Efficient. It can be found here:

OR

You mention the PWR and ENET lights. Is the PWR lit solid and the others flashing? That may indicate a catastrophic failure in the modem.

OR

What software are you using in the computer to connect with the modem? Enternet? If so, I would recommend ditching the Enternet software and using something better like RASPPPoE. You can search with Google to find it. An incompatibility with Enternet actually appears to cause the catastrophic failure mentioned above.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Power obviously indicates power...enet indicates an ethernet connection/activity...(you don't by any chance have sympatico do you?) but what about a light that indicates that you have the dsl signal? if the dsl/ready or whatever it is on your modem is flashing then it could be a line issue on the network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back