Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't get double click to work - ANNOYING 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyiguana

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2001
US
Switched computers around here at work and my pc's previous owner was a one click fanatic. I however cannot take it and for the life of me cannot get it back to double clicking. Win98 OS, Intellimouse PS/2 mouse. Here's what I've tried:
1. new mouse
2. delete from device manager
3. reinstall intellimouse software (3 different versions with an uninstall between each)
4. reinstall OS through system restoration disks.

I am trying to avoid a reformat - has anyone else ever ran into this annoying problem?

I'd have to say the reason none of those have worked for you is because 1. it has nothing to do with the mouse or mouse settings, and 2. installing the o/s on top of itself doesn't change settings, it's mainly for replacing corrupted/lost files and what not. The Single click feature in 98 is enabled/disabled under "Folder Options". To access open either Explorer or My Computer, goto View>Folder Options. There are 3 options there.

1. Web Styles - Your computer looks and acts like the Web (e.g., single-click).
2. Classic style - Your computer defaults to Windows classic settings.
3. Custom, based on settings you choose.

If 1. is selected, that explains your problem. To change either select Classic style or Custom. In classic, by default things are all set to "double click to open". Under custom, you can select single or double click to open. Hope this helps bud. Good luck.

Ted

TED - Thank you so much for replying - it sure fixed my problem. You learn something everyday. Have a fantastic holiday.

I'm glad I could help. I hope you have a great holiday too. I feel like an idiot now though. I didn't pay attention to your name, and out of habit I referred to you as "bud". Sorry milady =) Take care.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back