Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant get com 4 port ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooty

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
GB
I have an internal modem installed on com 4. However when i go to device manager, and look under ports, there is no com 4, only coms 1-5 without 4. I tried the add new hardware wizard to install com 4, but it wont do it and jumps to 6 or 7. As a result i cant get my modem workin.

Any ideas ?

If it's a Winmodem, quite frequently, the COM port won't show in Device Manager. I'm inclined to think your modem is defective. Go to Control Panel~modems~ find your modem and it's COM PORT (Presumably COM4) do a more info check on the modem and the system will do an AT& send to the modem. You should get a response from the modem. If you get a PORT OPEN error, then your modem is defective or wrong driver. If you haven't made any driver updates recently, then it's a bad modem. Winmodems are notorious for going bad. If you do replace it, DON"T GO WINMODEM AGAIN!! Winmodems rob the system of CPU time.
Good Luck. [thumbsup2] Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Hi IMRevbudgreen, thanks for your reply.

When i do the test i do recieve information from the modem, which leads me to believe it is working. And i dont think it is a winmodem anyway.

Anymore ideas ?

What doesn't work about it? No dialtone?, no response from modem? Give me your error exactly.
Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back