Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't fully delete w95 using "deltree windows"

Status
Not open for further replies.

leart3

Technical User
Aug 4, 2000
US
I can't fully delete win95 using "deltree windows". The system leaves 3 directories: . , .. , and Desktop. I'm trying to save the other files on the drive by deleting a corrupted w95 and reinstalling from the CAB files. I know I can wipe the whole drive, but that will destroy my other files. Windows is saying it can't complete the setup unless the directory "Desktop" is renamed or removed. How do I get around that. I'm still in dos.

leart3

Why not just rename Desktop and sort the files out after the Windows install?

Spoonman: Windows suggest renaming, I'll use it last,Thanks.

Eagle_Eye: I'll try that del *.8, thanks.

leart3

I decided to rename windows to eliminate the 3 directories that was keeping the setup from continuing, and I also decided to reinstall an older w95A instead of using the cab files for the w95B version and everything went smoothly. The only problem is I have to figure out how to replace the Icons that was eliminated from my desktop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

leart3

If the shortcuts that you want to have back on your desktop are for applications, then you will have to reinstall the program. You can go to the directory, that was created by the application, and create a shortcut to the desktop for the exe that runs the program, but it's not going to work if it's a Windows application. When you delete the Windows directory, you also delete dll's for programs that are stored in the Windows directory. The application will not start without these files and has to be reinstalled in order to function.

That answers my question. Some programs (as you said, they are maybe non-windows programs) can be restored to the desktop by creating a "Shortcut" which creates the necessary "Path and the "exe" file name. This work in w95 and w98. On other programs I get an error message, "File Not Found".

leart3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back