Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dboddington

Instructor
May 1, 2003
GB
This is driving me mad.

I need to update my website but can't FTP at all.

I am running Windows XP Home edition with SP2, a McAfee Anti-Virus and firewall (port 21 is open), the Windows firewall is turned off, this all goes through a netgear router with a firewall on it as well.
I have another PC connected to my network running Windows Me (I'm sorry!!) that has no problems ftp-ing at all. That rules out my router, host company etc.

Any ideas?

Oh, I am trying to use both Dreamweaver 4 and my host's web based ftp service (I have also installed, tried and uninstalled several other clients).

Does the McAfee firewall allow you to grant access to specific applications? It's possible that it's blocking your FTP client. As far as I'm aware opening port 21 is required to allow you to operate an FTP server but isn't relevant to operating an FTP client.

If tweaking/turning off your firewall doesn't work, check whether your FTP client has an option to open a 'passive' connection. That sometimes helps.

One other thing - and apologies, but I have to ask - you are using the right FTP address, user name and password aren't you? It's an easy mistake to get it wrong!

Regards

Nelviticus

Do you also have port20 open? ftp actually works on two ports, 20 and 21. Port 20 is the ftp data port, port 21 is the control port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back