Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't ftp to a user account !! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo44

Programmer
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have just re-installed solaris 7 on my ultra10 because i had the partitioning all messed up.

Anyhow, i have added a user account for myself and am busy downloading all the tools i need - and now i have found out that i can't ftp to the machine from my PC as as the new user - only as root.

After i have stuck the username and password in it just says "login incorrect. Login Failed."

I can telnet to the machine as the user with the same password.

Thanks in advance

Ringo

Make sure the username is not in the file /etc/ftpusers. Also ensue that your shell is one of the standard ones supplied with the OS - otherwise it will need to be entered in the /etc/shells file for ftp to work.

Thanks,

Unfortunately I don't have a /etc/ftpusers or a /etc/shells file.

Im using a cmd prompt from Windows 2000 and typing &quot;ftp <ip address>&quot;

Hope this helps.

You will need to place the new user id in the /etc/ftpusers file on the Solaris Machine for this to work.

Adding the name to /etc/ftpusers explicitly prevents ftp to a user so don't put it in there.

When you login to the user in telnet, what does echo $SHELL give you?

/etc/local/bin/bash - my favorite.

So, i have just created the file /etc/shells and put a line in it:

/etc/local/bin/bash

And i can now ftp to my user account!!

Thanks for your help.

Ringo

Creating the /etc/shells file turns on shell checking for ftp. You will need to put all the default shells into this file as well, unless they are there already, or else ftp to a user with say /bin/sh as a shell will fail now. See man shells on your system to see a list of the additional entries you should add. For security reasons make sure the permission of the /etc/shells file is set to 644 so only root can modify it.

I'm not sure, but I think with Solaris 8, the ftpusers file is in /etc/ftpd, not just /etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back