Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't format HD to install win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

caraloca

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
CA
Hi.
I have a WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB 7200 8MB CACHE HARD DRIVE.
I had win xp pro on it but I deleted using the WIn xp cd it because I want to install it again. Right now I have no OS. I have only one big partition of the whole HD ( Also I saw that it said besides the "C" NEW and RAW. when I am trying to instal win xp. what is that?)
So when I put my win xp cd to install it again,it can not format the hard drive, it goes up to 99% and then it said that "it can not format the hard drive, maybe is damaged or to check if is plugged properly".
I know is not damage because is brand new and I only used it for 2 days with win xp and I know is properly connected because I was using it.
(I do not know if is help but I uninstalled win xp because I got a virus that my antivirus colud not remove, so as I did not have anything important to save I decided that I better instal win xp again).
What should I do to solve my problem? if possible step by step please.
Thank you

It may be a virus in the partition itself. Re-do it the "long hard way" by booting with a Boot Disk. (You did make one didn't you?) If not, borrow one or even use a Win 98 Boot Disk. You may get an "error in line xxx" ignore it and Fdisk the Hard Drive, and format it. Then you can use the Win XP CD to install it any way you want.

Go to and download DLG Diagnostic. It is the manufacturers own software to diagnose problems with the harddrive and try to fix them. There are also other official utilities that may help.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Ok micker377, so I boot from the cd then I type fdisk and it will start . After I typed format and it will staert, right?.
Or how do I do that?.
Ok gpalmer711, that is a good tool, I will download it ansd see if it fix my problem.
Thank you both for your help, I'll post back to let you know hwhat happened.

WD HD's have utils as gpalmer711 stated. I'd write all zeroes to the drive using the WD tools and try again.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hi, I will try any of all those options, I already download the program from Wester digital and if it does not work I'll the FDISC command.
The instructions in the link gave me a pretty good idea about formatting and partitions but from what I read if I use a win 95 or 98 boot disc it is only good for smaller HD than mine (80gb), is that correct?.
Thank you all.

I recently used a Win 98 3 1/2 boot disk to set up a 160 gig. I do this to make sure the Bios will recognize the full size of the Hard Drive. (You'd be surprised some of the systems I get to "upgrade". Some people don't know WHAT they have!)

i hsd the same problem with the same hard drive,it turned out that one of my memory chips was not working very well.
i have two 256k chips,if you have more then one memory chip,remove all but one and try formating again,if it does the same thing again that chip is the bad one,if it formats
take the remaining chips to any major computer store and have them checked out.
best buy or comp usa or frys will check them out for free.
dada35

Hi, I used the tools from WD (DLG Diagnostic)and everything went great, nice and easy, I installed win xp without a problem.
Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back