Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Format Hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

klownska

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
AU
Hi there, I have a Samsung 40 gb hard disk, which last time I checked was working fine (it was running as the slave) I was playing around with Disk management and Dynamic disks when I tried to reformat it would not work, I actually left it overnight and it didn't make it past 1% so I restarted, now I cant see, read or format the drive. I have tried disk manager, Fdisk and Partition magic but none of them will work. obviously I have no concern about data that I may have left there but I'm sure it was clean. The hard drive does still spin and it doesn't seem to be making any unusual noises any suggestion on what utilities might be able to help me out ? Thanx in Advance

klownska,

With FDISK did you try to delete ALL partitions and making a new one, then booting before formating the HD?

Good Luck §;O)

Jakob

You can also use one of Norton's utilities (can't remember which one) to edit the boot record. I did that once. Filling it with zeros worked like a charm §;O)

A shareware edition is available here:

I did NOT try it, so it's at your own risk §;O)

Regards

Jakob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back