Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find the CD-ROM Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeteky

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
I'm running windows 98se on a Compaq Deskpro pentium II. I recently (today) installed a third hard drive (2GB) on the secondary slave IDE. Since then the CD-ROM drive isn't getting power. Windows doesn't recognize it, and I can't get a CD-ROM out of it because it won't open. When I start up there is an error: 1792 Secondary device controller failure (something like that). Does anyone know how to fix this?

A 1/2 empty glass + 1/2 empty glass = 1 empty glass.

Also, the third hard drive was reported as 60GB when it's really only 2.

First thing to do is to set the hard drive as a master. Look for the jumper settings on make sure it's set to that.

Next, check the jumper setting on the CD-ROM and make sure it is set to slave.

The hook the hard drive and cd-rom drive to the same IDE cable on the secondary IDE port.

After that, you need to go into the BIOS and make sure it detects all of your drives properly.

If you still need help after that...let us know

Enkrypted
A+

I have done all of the above, no luck. Could it be that my CD-ROM drive just got fried somehow? I will mess around with jumpers and such, but it's not even getting power. It won't open when you press the eject button. I think I broke the drive somehow.

Can you put the CD in place of the primary slave to see if it will function OK there? Did the secondary ever have anything on it that worked?

Never mind, the CD-ROM drive was bad.

Check this out: I got a new CD-ROM drive that works, put it on the slave part of the cable on cable select jumpers, put the hard drive jumpers to master on the primary part of the cable and WALLAH! It worked! Thanks for all the ideas, especially Enkrypted. You were closest to the solution so you get a star. :)

I guess it only worked once, because now I can't boot up at all. When I get so far booting up, it says "Windows protection error while initializing VPCID. You will need to restart your computer." Does anyone know how to fix this?

I checked the bootlog, and the only thing that didn't load correctly was ndis2sup.vxd. Is this very important, and what should I do short of installing windows again? I have some files on there that I would like to keep. If I have to install again, does anyone know how to copy folders in DOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back