Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find Relative Reference Button for macros in Excel 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeter33

Programmer
Jun 6, 2001
US
Someone gave me an Excel '97 book which shows how to make useful macros, but my Excel 2000 doesn't behave the same way.

When I start a macro, I cannot find the Relative Reference Button. This prevents me from moving down the spreadsheet in order to paste properly. I tried sticking dollar signs in the code referencing the cell but to no avail.

Has anyone run into this and found a way to turn it on or make it visible?

Thank you.

When you start recording a macro, a toolbar should appear with the button on it. I'm assuming, because you made this post, that toolbar does not appear. What you need to do after starting the macro recorder, go to View, Toolbars, Macro and the toolbar will appear. You probably want to stop recording the macro at this point it will record this process in the macro. Good luck

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

I tried what you had said and Macro wasn't listed as a choice, so I'm assuming something that I need was not installed. Would you agree?

Thanks again.

Yeah, I probably should have openned excel before naming the toolbar. It should actually say &quot;Stop Recording&quot; in the toolbars list. If, for some reason that's still not available, try searching for and renaming your <user>.xlb file. Its the toolbar file for excel. Just run a search for *.xlb and look for one that has your user name as the name. Rename the file and restart excel, it will create a new one. Good luck

That did it. That will save me an enormous amount of time. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back