Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't find network neighborhood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigonz

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
US
Hi, I recently reinstalled windows 98 onto my computer due to some problems I was having. But I'm noticing now that I don't have the Network Neighborhood icon on my desktop and I can't find it anywhere. I had it before I reinstalled windows. Do you think it is possible that I accidentally deleted the icon and got rid of the whole thing? If so, how do I get Network Neighborhood back? Do I need to reinstall windows once again? Thank you for your help...

Go to control pnl.>add/remove prog.>win. setup>communications and see if Dial Up Networking is checked. If not check it and Hyper Terminal, It may need you're install cd. If it is checked go to My Computer dbl.click and see if it's listed there, if so open and follow instructions. You may also need to reinstall the Modem drivers..Hope this helps..

You need to have some form of networking installed on your PC. Usually this will be in the form of Dial-Up Networking, or a Network Card.

Installing either should automatically (also) install Client for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP (or IPX/SPX). These are all needed to be able to browse a network, and will add the Network Neighbourhood icon to your desktop.

You can install a network card, a protocol, or a service, via Network in Control Panel. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back