Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant find fileserver on Aloha. Windows server 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmagnerdds

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2008
US
using aloha ver v5.2.8.224
was on an nt system. The hard drive crashed.
When i opened the computer there were two drives. C&D
Luckily the drive D had all the restaurant data.
the front office is running on emergency mode. i now have aloha manager running on the back office. my problem is i cant get the front to get off of the emergency mode and recognise the fileserver. ive read all of the posts on this forum about the file server issues and i have followed them and still have no luck.

my question is how does the workstations recognise the server. what program is supposed to be running on the server that the workstations see? CTLSERVER is running on the server but i am doing something wrong. the dongle is working properly. i found a driver for the card. do i need an updated version of ctlserver? the edc seems to be working i can settle the batch at the end of the day from the server. since i am starting from scratch and i dont have the aloha cd how do i know that everything is fine..

another question. how do i define the environment variable for the file server? where is this done?

i know nothing about aloha. my first experience with this program was two days ago. the permissions are correct. the workstations when i map them to drive z as soon as they are restarted they default back to the local workstation on the emergency mode. what program is running that makes them do this?

ive followed all of the suggestions in the forum. the only thing i cant seem to implement is the environment variables. where is this done and what are the settings i use?

in aloha manager under utility there is a setting that says recover file server. when i click this NOTHING happens. what is supposed to happen? please guys any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

also i get this message
how and where do i go to correct it

ERROR: VERIFY DATA v5.2.8.224 : Aug 07, 13:26:59
ERROR:
ERROR: *** MUST Correct All Errors Before Running FOH ***
ERROR:
ERROR: Need to configure a Percent-off promotion for delivery discounts
ERROR: Need to configure an Amount-off promotion for delivery discounts

THIS IS THE RESULT FROM THE DBOUT FILE ON TERMINAL 1 WHICH IS THE SERVER.
WHY IS IT NOT LOOKING FOR THE AOHABOH SERVER??

Aug 07, 19:08:14 ................................................................
Aug 07, 19:08:14 IBER started (robust mode)... version 5.2.8.224
Aug 07, 19:08:15 LoadIberStrings() - Loaded version 5.2.8.224, IBERSTR.DLL
Aug 07, 19:08:15 Begin initializing network...
Aug 07, 19:08:15 Initializing network...
Aug 07, 19:08:15 Node = 1 String = 'B'
Aug 07, 19:08:15 NBInit()-> Before NBAddName()-> StationName = "IBERB "
Aug 07, 19:08:18 NBInit()-> After NBAddName()-> StationNumber = 6
Aug 07, 19:08:18 NBInit()-> Before NBAddGroupName()-> SessionName = "IBERLINK"
Aug 07, 19:08:21 NBInit()-> After NBAddGroupName()-> SessionNumber = 7
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Station number 6, session 7
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Network initialization complete.
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Done initializing network.
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Determining Master And Fileserver
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Local DOB is 8/7/2008 in C:\Aloha\DATA\ALOHA.INI (08 07 2008)
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Local terminal was last fileserver, proceeding with startup
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Attempting to connect to server 'TERM1'...
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Create MultiSync flag 'C:\Aloha\DATA\MSYNC'
Aug 07, 19:08:21 Delete MultiSync flag 'C:\Aloha\DATA\MSYNC'
Aug 07, 19:08:23 Begin reading data...
Aug 07, 19:08:23 Creating terminal status for 3
Aug 07, 19:08:23 Creating terminal status for 2
Aug 07, 19:08:28 Check For Unregistered applications...
Aug 07, 19:08:28 Don't need to start VBOINST.EXE
Aug 07, 19:08:28 ConvertTransLog(): Analysing TRANS.LOG for conversion...
Aug 07, 19:08:28 Iber(): No log conversion required.
Aug 07, 19:08:28 Done reading data.
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 00:00:00 SET MENU BY TERM/JOBCODE TERM: 0, MENU: 50, JOB: 11
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 04:00:00 SET MENU GROUP 10 to menu 20
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 04:00:00 SET BAR MENU 25
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 04:00:00 SET SERVER MENU 20
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 06:00:00 SET MENU GROUP 10 to menu 10
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 06:00:00 SET BAR MENU 15
Aug 07, 19:08:30 firing 06:00:00 SET SERVER MENU 10
Aug 07, 19:08:30 Number of color bits is 32, Physical Memory 28794880 bytes
Aug 07, 19:08:30 NOT using EGI display
Aug 07, 19:08:31 Begin reading transaction log...

Aug 07, 19:08:31 Done reading transaction log.
Aug 07, 19:08:54 [4294027051] Printer 31 on COM1, FIFO Buffer checkbox is (assumed) checked. Warning! Could cause printing problems if XON/XOFF is used.
Aug 07, 19:08:54 [4294027051] Node = 1 String = 'B'
Aug 07, 19:08:54 [4294027051] Node = 2 String = 'C'
Aug 07, 19:08:54 [4294027051] Node = 3 String = 'D'
Aug 07, 19:08:54 [4294027051] Begin reading printer logs...
Aug 07, 19:08:55 [4294027051] Done reading printer logs.
Aug 07, 19:08:55 [4294027051] Terminal up...
Aug 07, 19:10:04 [4294027051] Terminal 3 timed out, clearing
Aug 07, 19:11:50 [4294027051] LISTEN: CONNECTED TO NODE 2! (20)

I know this is an easy one for most of the teks on this site but since no one has chimed in yet I'll take a stab.

Look in the root on the master term for a file downtime.ini. It will show the last Master and the last Server. So if it's not saying something like
last master=term1
last server=AlohaBOH
then I think you just delete it.
I'd also delete the Tmp folder.
Of course you can save the folders somewhere if you're not comfortable deleting. Give it a try. Post back if it still doesn't work, someone will figure it out.

Make sure the computer name is ALOHABOH and that the environment variables are set correctly. Can you see the BOH from the terminals and vice versa? The environment variables are found in the System panel of Control Panel. Somewhere under Advanced or something. At the bottom of the window there will be an Environmental Variables button. Click on that. I will get you the environmental variables sometime tomorrow. Good luck!

i tried doing the delete of the downtime ini and that does not work.

what that does is prevents the foh from connecting to the local server

all of the previous tips that were listed in this forum ive tried. EXCEPT the setting of the environment variables. i found out where it was stored but dont know the exact settings to use.

i can see the boh from the terminals and vice versa

read and write etc

is there a special program or service that is supposed to be running on the server that broadcasts that it is the server?? because when i made the term1 the server all of the other terminals came to life and recognised it as the new server. what program does this?

also the drive z changed automatically on all the workstations to point to terminal 1 as the server. and when i set it back to alohaboh it resets itself to term1

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctlsvr is running as a service. are there any other programs??

Let's start with the variables. Show us an iber.cfg from the FOH, and show us the environment variables from the BOH.

dont mean to sound stupid but where is the ibercfg file stored
i see an ibercfg.bat....but nothing else
here is the batch file
SET IBERROOT=Aloha
SET LOCALDIR=C:\Aloha
SET CALIBRATE=C:\Aloha\bin\calib.exe
SET EDCPATH=\\ALOHABOH\BOOTDRV\Aloha\EDC
SET TERMSTR=TERM
SET TERM=2
SET NUMTERMS=3
SET SERVER=ALOHABOH
SET MASTERCAPABLE=TRUE
SET SERVERCAPABLE=TRUE
SET AUTOEXIT=TRUE
COPY %LOCALDIR%\newbin\*.* %LOCALDIR%\bin
ECHO y | DEL %LOCALDIR%\newbin\*.*

for the environment variables i put
term1=z:\
term2=y:\
term3=x:\

Ibercfg.bat. You are right.

I meant all of the environment variables on your BOH server...right click on my computer, properties, and it's under one of the tabs.

And you are connecting to all of them from Network Neighborhood, right?

And if this is a fresh install of Aloha, did you make sure to set up all the hardware in Aloha manager again?

yes i can connect to them all from network neighborhood
this is not really a fresh install
i need to know what to put exactly in the environment variables. i winged it and i think i screwed it up.

i dont have the cd
the old server crashed and i took the drive out of it and put it in a new server
the hardware appears to be set up. same settings as before
does the server need an ibercfg file also?? and what is the terminal number i need to assign to the server.
i assigned '0'

The server does not get a terminal number.

so there is no ibercfg on the server??
should i delete that??
could you cut and paste the sample data for a server ibercfg file if there is one?

what about those environment variables?

As far as I know, there is NO IBERCFG file on the server.

Try something with the DOWNTIME.INI file: Change the last master to the server's computer name.

I have also attached the environmental variables I found on my system. You may need to add entries for AUTOEXIT and EDC. I would use the IBERCFG file as a reference for adding these entries. Also, the server does NOT get assigned a terminal number.

NOTE: I have a 1 terminal system with FOH and BOH running on one PC. You may need to alter or delete some of these environment variables.

http://www.box.net/shared/hmtmpvjhjg
I tried changing the downtime.ini like you said and that still does not make it see the server. Now it's asking me to make it the fileserver again.

Any idea on the programs that are supposed to b running in memory on the server? Is iber.Exe running? What are some of the process names?

The only thing that must be running on the server is CTLSVR.EXE. IBER.EXE is the FOH interface. IBER.EXE shouldn't be running on the fileserver. Any luck with the environment variables?

Your environment variables are a little confusing because you have server along with terminal settings.

where does this go? in the user or the system variables? Could it be something is wrong with the ctlsvr file??

should this be running in nt compatibility mode??

the windows environment thing does not work. now what it did was kill my aloha manager
this somehow makes me think that is reading files off of drive C.
my aloha setup is on drive D
anyone else out there with server environment settings??

NOW I get a message that says CTLSVR cannot be started. check to see that it is registered.

it is listed as a service but i cant start or stop it. Maybe this is the key??
ctlsvr??

here is a batch file that i am running to register ctlsvr. is this correct? you said ctlsvr should be the only rogram running but here are a bunch of programs and dll's that are being loaded.

what should i do?

D:
cd aloha
cd bin

ALOHAMGR.EXE /REGSERVER

ALOHASEC.EXE /REGSERVER

CTLSVR.EXE /SERVICE

REGSVR32.EXE AMGRPS.DLL

REGSVR32.EXE AMGRSHIM.DLL

REGSVR32.EXE ASECPS.DLL

REGSVR32.EXE ARSEC.DLL

REGSVR32.EXE ARSECPS.DLL