Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't find custom cell style when using the Text Import Wizard feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almie

Technical User
Nov 28, 2006
US
I am using Excel 2007. I have a custom cell style saved in both my default Sheet template also my default Book template.

When I open a Tab delimited file in Excel, after I have selected all options using the Text Import Wizard and I can see my data in a worksheet. I click on Cell Style, and my custom cell style does not appear.

Does anyone know what default sheet template or default book template is used when the Text Import Wizard feature is used? Also in which trusted location is it stored in?

Hi,

After you import the data, 1) COPY the formats in ONE ROW of your template, 2) select ALL the rows you want formatted, 3) right-click ans select Paste Special and select FORMATS.

The reason is that the import, when you do it the FIRST time, INSERTS columns, forcing your formats to the right.

Subsequent imports will not do that IF you REFRESH the import. All the rows, regardless of the number, will inherit the existing formats.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

After I submitted my question, I found the answer.....

Instead of using the Open button to find your document, on the ribbon, click the data tab and then click the "From Text", find your document and go thru the Text Import Wizard.

After you finished defining all columns, click the Finish button. Excel opens the Import Data dialog, asking where to put the results, existing worksheet or New worksheet, either option will have your custom cell style. Awesome!!

I missed the custom thing and assumed some other cell format issue.

Glad you have a solution. Just remember you only need it do the import wizard drill one time, and refresh from then on.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back