Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAN'T FIND BOOT PARTITION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

btwice2

Technical User
Sep 5, 2004
US
I have a new HD installed on a Compaq Presario.

I connected it to my primary PC to format and create an NTFS partition. When I install the HD and start my PC, "Can't find boot partition" comes up before Windows begins setup.

Now when I select a partition to install XP on, I'm told that windows can't install because this is a non-compatible Windows partition. YET I CAN'T CREATE A PARITION TO INSTALL WINDOWS ON!!! EVEN FROM THE PARTITION SELECT SCREEN.

It seems as though I need to figure out how to create a working boot partition. I know the HD works, maybe it's the other PC or it's motherboard. (**FYI: I removed the motherboard battery to try to reset the BIOS)

Now that I think about it, I can't even get into the BIOS!

SOMEONE PLS HELP!!!!!!!

I have a problem like yours try to install windows 2000pro and i get a cant open boot partition to check signature.Windows will not install.It formats the drive copys files and when it restarts i get cant open boot partition to check signature.This one has realy got me stumped very strange.NO one seems to know what this is.

This probably won't help but. I have installed a new drive and used the software that came with the new disk to install it. Then if XP or Windows 2K would not install I used the 6 install diskettets with Windows XP and Windows 2K takes 4. I have used both methods to set up the two OS's on stubborn systems.

Have either of you got the bios virus protection enabled? If so, disable it.

If that's not it, can you create a partition from a win98 boot disk using fdisk? ( if you need one).

Delete the partition then re-create it. Remember to format after creating the partition.

cant open boot partition on win2000 install.I still have this problem.Reformatting dont work no virus scaning in bios to turn off.Can not use win 98 fdisk because it dont support my scsi adapter.I have a lsi ultra 320 scsi raid card.Some guy said he pull m/b battery out to flush bios and it fixed his cant open boot partition to check signature error.I tryed it it did not work.There must be a fix out there some where.

Are you sure your bios doesn't have an Virus Protection setting (its not software scan - just a bios setting that prevents writing to the boot sector - something that 2k need to do during install).

I'm presuming you are pressing F6 and supplying the correct drivers on floppy for your SCSI card near beginning of 2k install process?

Yes it has write protect in bios turned it off.And i did hit f6 to install scsi adapter drivers.Strange because the drive will format and copy files.But when it restarts i get the partition cant open error.Also i get the cant open boot partition from the very start before windows install starts up.I did a low level format write all zero,s to drive that did not work.Must be a black hole around some where iam out of ideals.I also pulled battery out of m/b to flush cmos that did not work.

hello,

have you solved the problem?

I just had a similar problem but my hard disk is a second hand IDE drive. By the way, did you get any virus?

Anyway, in case you have not solved the problem, here is how I solved my problem.

a) goto and download a Win98 boot disk and make a WIN98 bootable disk. The boot disk will contain fdisk.

b) Boot from the floppy.

c) fdisk /mbr (to fix the Master Boot Record)

d) fdisk (partition the drive)

e) format c:

f) Reboot the computer and put your Windows 2000 Installation disks into the CD-ROM and continue.

The mentioned steps solved my problems. I checked the Internet and at least 1 person don't recommend to use fdisk /mbr. Anyway, it solved my problem and that is all I care.

I hope it helps.

ken

The only reason I can think of not to use FDISK /MBR is if you have Linux or OS/2 or another non-MS operating system installed along with Windows. Or if you have something like Boot Commander or something similar that lets you install dozens of OSs in parallel.

When a drive is in really bad shape, I use a tool called MBRWORK (best to just do a Google search for it), which is a DOS utility that can wipe out the corrupt boot record *and* the partition table.

It can also regenerate the partition table based on analysis of the disk, so if a disk suddenly becomes corrupt, say, after an improper shutdown, MBRWORK can recover the lost partitions for you. Fabulous tool. I recommend experimenting with it in a system with a hard drive you don't care about in order to learn its capabilities. I find I need it about once a year, but when I've needed it, I'd needed it desperately.

It won't help you if there's anything physically wrong with the disk (your only hope there is SpinRite, or sending it off to OnTrack) but it's a great first step.

Dave Farquhar

I fix my cant open boot partition problem.It seem if you get that message cant open boot partition to check for signature during operateing system install it can be a number of thing that can cause that message not just one fix.My problem involved a dell lsi 21320-is scsi raid card.I solved the problem by up gradeing the scsi controlers firmware with lsi firmware instead of dells firmware.lsi makes the card for dell but lsi support said i had to use dells firmware to upgrade firmware i did and still getting cant open boot partition.Getting desperate i used lsi firmware after thay said it migth trash the card.Flashed with lsi firmware and bam windows 2000 installs with no partition error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back