Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't figure out global bin folder for .dll files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrscott

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
US
Hi All,

Based on info I've found, I've got a /bin folder in the root of my site. Also in the root are a global.asax and web.config. Per what I read, this should allow me to place .aspx pages anywhere below this root and they will find the /bin folder.

This works for pages placed one folder below, but if you place a page two folders below, it fails complaining that it "could not load type 'project.webform1'". Placing a /bin folder in the same folder as the page solves the problem but I don't want bin folders everywhere.

I've verified that there is only one weg.config and globl.asax.

Has anyone come across a solution for this?

Thanks!!!

Scott

You can use the GAC (global assembly cache), but it will require you to put a strong name on your assemblies. Once an assembly is in the GAC, you can access it from any directory.

You can view the contents of the GAC by going to \Winnt\assembly, or by running gacutil.exe

Chip H.

It shouldn't be a problem.

May we see the @Page directive of the .aspx page in question?

Thanks for the responses,

I'll have to research the GAC I've never heard of it before.

Here is the @page directive:

<%@ Page Language="VB" ContentType="text/html"
ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1"
Inherits="ProjectOpening.ProjectSearchResults"%>

Thanks again!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back