Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Execute C2.exe 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galford

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
US
While trying to compile my VB6 project i get the following error:

"can't execute c2.exe"

C2 is the object compiler, and is used to compile the individual modules to .OBJ format before linking. First, look and see if you have the C2.EXE executable. If you do, check your current Directory and paths to see why it can't find it. It should be in the same directory as your VB6 executable.

If all else fails, just reinstall VB. That will reinstall the c2.exe file. - Jeff Marler B-)

When I get that message it is because of a big module. I exit applications like IE, Attachmate Extra, etc and restart the compilation. C2 is a DOS application which probably has a lot (Duh-Uh) to do with it.

Actually C2.exe (Microsoft (R) 32-Bit 80x86 Compiler Back End) is a 32-Bit WIN32 Console Application that requires Windows to run (the code makes several calls to mspdb60.dll, User32.dll, Msvcrt.dll, and last but certainly not least Kernal32.dll). Just because the app does not have a GUI, does not mean that its a low end DOS app.

For those who are interested and want more information on c2.Exe and specifically how to control and manipulate it, check out the following information . . .

Visual Basic Programmers Journal (November 1999)

The VBPJ article also has information on the HookDLLCall API which will allow you to write code that will intercept all calls to DLLs within a process. I thought it was pretty cool myself . . . - Jeff Marler B-)

Thanks. This definately gave me some helpful insite into the C2. Turns out after rebooting my system I no longer recieved this message. My system seems to throw these odd messages every once in awhile. Another one I get more often are enum's that I defined throwing messages that they weren't. Frustrating be workable.

Thanks again
:)

I also receive the error "can't execute c2.exe" so I don't know what to do. I have reinstalled vb and checked the dll files but all is right. What can I do?

Thanks.

I have a problem in Visual Basic 5.0 Application. My application run from the visual basic it gives the printout in text mode(this is my requirment, I succeed). Then I created Executable file.

Now I run the Executable file, it gives the printout in graphics mode. I want, if I run the Executable file it will give the printout in text mode.

Any one know the solution.

Vk,

I'm sorry. Need a little more info to help out.

You would be much better off asking the question in the Visual Basic forum. More people that might know the answer are there increasing your chance of getting one. You may want to include a short excerpt from the program to show what you are having trouble with too.

If anyone knows how to reference a Forum, like the threads and FAQ, please let me know.

Wil Mead
wmead@optonline.net

Wil -

If you look at the top of each thread, just below the title ("Can't Execute C2.exe" in this case) you'll see some small text containing the thread ID ("thread710-74166" in this case). All you have to do is copy and paste that into a message (I usually have to open another browser window to get both on screen at the same time), the TGML will recognize it and turn it into a link.

Chip H.

Chip,

I was looking for Forum222.
Works just like threads and FAQ.

Wil Mead
wmead@optonline.net

I got the Execute C2.exe error when I tried to add a custom icon to my mdimain.frm, and then use the mdimain.frm icon for the icon of the project. Once I removed the icon and used the default it compiled fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back