Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Enter Setup When Booting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impediment

Technical User
Mar 11, 2001
US
When I try to enter the setup when booting, the computer asks for the current user password. There is not any current password. (I was trying to get rid of passwords so I would not have to keep entering them.) When I rebooted and went into the setup the user password was highlighted so I entered a supervisor password then deleted the user password. Now I can not enter the setup using any of my passwords and I have to reenter my (ISP) password to log onto the net every 10 minutes or so. Any ideas what I can do to correct this? Can I change a setting in User.dat to get rid of my passwords?

for the bios there is a program called kill cmos try that out see if it works So long and thanks for all the fish.

Kill CMOS - The program is designed to erase BIOS passwords. It changes values in all known proprietary checksum locations. Then, overwrites all known Passwords and their accompanying checksums. When the computer reboots it says checksum failure, default settings loaded. Then, one needs to reconfigure............. I have never reconfigured my hard drive, floppy drive, dvd, etc. How difficult does this get?

GOOD GRIEF. I had no user password in the bios. My supervisor password did not work because it was two letters to long. When I typed the password in it looked like all was ok but the password was to long.

I'm missing something here...are you getting asked for a password for the bios setup or something within the OS? If its in the OS, which one are you using. If its one for the BIOS, go to the website of the manufacturer to find out if there is a jumper setting on the motherboard to clear it. I service Dell computers, by checking the Dell site and information for the system I'm looking at, it gives me the jumper to move (and usually a diagram) and an explaination of what the jumper will do on reboot. Please provide a little more info...

Heather

pcheather@yahoo.com

My situation is handled. This is what was happening. I was trying to enter the Bios Setup during bootup. When I hit "del" I would be asked for my CURRENT user password (I was't sure which password that was, OS or BIOS). I tried to enter the 8 letter supervisor password for the BIOS. It would not work. What did work was this - I entered 6 letters of the 8 letter supervisor password ,that was in CMOS, and hit enter. I did't know the CMOS password could only be 6 characters! I got into this mess trying to get away from using passwords. This is now a single user computer and I am trying to get it to act like one, without typing in a password when I log on to computer and the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back