Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't enable sharing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
I have a client running ME. His HD crashed and he just did a complete reinstall on a new HD. We have his broadband shared with a Linksys router, using PPPoE - getting IP addresses and can ping each other and the router. File and print sharing is enabled. But when I go to the printer and right click, the sharing option does not show up. Same with sharing a folder - no option listed. Also when I click on Network Neighborhood it just says "Unable to browse the network". Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

With any 9x/ME machine that this happens on, first thing I'd do is remove all networking devies/protocols and reinstall them.

Normally I'd agree, but this was a brand new clean install.

Even on a brand new install, its still what I'd do first (if I thought hardware was all ok - which it sounds like it is). 9x/Me are just notorious for not always setting networking up properly - including when first installed.

Dear Wolluf

On one of our machines the printing over the network function stopped, I couldn't reinstall printers because the 'add printer' wizard froze at the browse for printer screen. After two days of reinstalling Windows and general messing about I read this your first reply and thought that I'd reinstalled Windows so it can't be that. Half a day later thought it's worth a try, as everything else had failed, so I uninstalled all the networking, reinstalled it and it everything WORKS FINE STRAIGHT AWAY

So my advice is follow Wolluf's advice: if your network printing fails try reinstalling the network first

Thanks Wolluf

John

I have a similar problem. I connected a new printer to my son's Windows XP PC and want to share it with my Windows 98 PC. I have followed the instructions for sharing, even installing Windows 98 drivers in addition to those for Windows XP as suggested. However when I try to "add printer" from my Windows 98 PC and I "browse network" my son's PC is showing but not his printer. Has anybody got any suggestions why? I never had any problems sharing the printer that's attached to the Windows 98 PC, so this is bugging me.

1) Are you sure you have sharing turned on for that printer in XP?

2) If it is a Lexmark printer you won't be able to share it. Their drivers don't function with different operating systems over a network.

Yes. I've checked the box "enable sharing". My printer is an Epson 830U, BTW.

I usually get the "Unable to browse the network" on my ME machine when I don't login, you know, just hit Cancel on the login screen. When I login with a user name and password, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back