Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't edit some WMV and AVI files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

like2edit

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
I've found some WMV and AVI files can't be edited in Premiere. They import ok, but when I drag them into the timeline they go completely black and they can't be viewed. I've noticed if I open the clips in a new window they become visible and play ok, but that doesn't help with editing.

When I run into this issue is there any software app I can use to convert problematic clips into a format that Premiere won't have a problem with?

Premiere doesn't edit WMV.

Premiere only edits certain CODECs inside the AVI wrapper.

Clip windows use Windows resources and therefore play back a wider range of material than can be handled on the timeline where Premiere needs to be able to process the frames.

You can use Gspot (free download) to determine which CODEC and Virtual Dub (again free) to convert to something that Premiere can handle (eg DV).

Akribie,
thanks for the reply, but I'm not clear on what I should do. Gspot says the problem file is a DivX 6.0 packed bitstream AVI. So, what action should I take with Virtual Dub?

DivX is a form of MPEG4, a very high-compressed format for web delivery that is most unsuitable for re-editing.

Assuming you are not breaking someone else's copyright by trying to edit this is the first place, you need to convert it into an editable format if you want to use Premiere for editing.

may help you with using Virtual Dub for the conversion.

Personally, I only edit with source material from cameras, so don't have your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back