Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't edit record once inserted. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlpaskett

Programmer
Aug 27, 2004
US
I have been trying to migrate data from an Access database to SQL Server 2000. I have successfully imported the data into SQL and have created an odbc connection to the SQL database. I linked to the tables from access (still using it as front end) and everything appears normal at first. The problem is when I try to edit a record that was created after the data migration. I get a message stating that the record was modified by another user since it was opened, and it won't save the record changes that I make. Records that were imported into SQL from access work normally (I can edit them)

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks--

Does the record you are editing contain any bit fields?

Yes it does. Is that the problem?

Thanks--

More than likely. The ODBC driver does not handle the mapping of bit fields correctly. You may be able to overcome this by making sure that there is a unique index returned in the recordset. Another thing to try is put a timestamp field that is returned in the recordset. What happens is that if there is nothing unique in the record, then access/odbc uses all the fields to determine if the record was changed by another user. Since the bit field does not map correctly then access/odbc assumes the record was changed even though it was your current Form that made the change - a catch 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back