Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't dynamic update from W2K client to W2K DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I've installed DNS on a W2K MS of our NT4 domain and want to set up all W2K clients to dynamically update.

I have set up forward and reverse zones, added a PTR record in the reverse zone to point to the DNS server and have ensure that in the client TCP/IP settings DNS can be updated. However DNS does not get updated by my test client workstation.

What could I be missing?

F.Y.I

nslookup works, the correct servername.dnsdomain appears and when using nslookup on the server I can resolve IP addresses and hostnames.

i.e. I can ping jatkinson and I received info

name: jatkinson.law
address: 100.1.0.214

However, on the client nslookup also finds the correct server.domain however lookups do not work if I search for the client hostname, i.e. jatkinson only if I type in hostname.dnssuffixname i.e. jatkinson.law

I am not running DHCP at the moment as I am led to believe DHCP on W2K will only run under AD. I am also led to believe that the client only dynamically updates the A records (host) and that DHCP would create reverse lookups if enabled, so I will manually enter PTR records for all clients if necessary. At present we are planning our migration to a full W2K network which is going in from scratch, therefore DNS on the NT4 domain is only for internal use and to help the DNS learning process.

My forward zone has been created as a Standard primary and has been named the same as the primary dns suffix.

Does anyone have any idea why dynamic DNS updating is not working???

I've looked in the clients event log and also have the following error:

--------------------------------------------------------
The system failed to register network adapter with settings:

Adapter Name : {FDDD1ECE-7AFF-45C4-97DB-961F29A4CD88}
Host Name : JATKINSON
Adapter-specific Domain Suffix : law
DNS server list :
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :

The cause of this DNS registration failure was because of DNS server failure. This may be due to a zone transfer that has locked the DNS server for the applicable zone that your computer needs to register itself with.

(The applicable zone should typically correspond to the Adapter-specific Domain Suffix that was indicated above.) You can manually retry registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing &quot;ipconfig /registerdns&quot; at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your network systems administrator to verify network conditions.
----------------------------------------------------------

If anyone could help shed some light on this problem I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

1. dhcp works without ad

2. Do very simple thing. setup one win2k as dns and dhcp togather with dynamic update.

3. try to bring your test client with dhcp enable.

4. make sure you do not have mycompuer-properties-network identification-properties-more and primary dns suffix of this computer is law.

5. and important right click on my network-localarea properties- tcpIP- properties-advance-DNS- and click on &quot;Register this connections addresses in dns&quot;

Patel

Hi Patel thanks for the response.

1. Ta for correction
2. Will look to do that
3. as above
4. there is no entry for primary DNS suffix of this computer on the client PC
5. This is ticked already

Thanks

Hi Whoheard

Thanks for the links a couple of them I've looked at already, especially in relation to ensuring the DHCP client is running etc.

I'll have a look through in more detail.

Incidently the Event ID 11151 error I'm getting cannot be identified by Microsoft.

I just love how they can't identify their own error messages!!!! [bigsmile]

Cheers

Ok guys

Here's what i've done this morning

I installed a DHCP server and set the client to request IP address automatically.

The client logged in OK and DHCP records were updated, DHCP then amded the Reverse Lookup Zone of DNS to include the clients IP address which I expected.

However, the client does not update the forward lookup zone of DNS!

Does this help narrow the problem at all?

Is my Forward lookup zone created correctly?

You are almost there now.
Check the zone transfer configuration.

Patel

Ok making some progress.

I've managed to get a W2K client and XP client to show in the forward lookup zone but not 100% sure why!

I think it's something to do with setting the primary DNS suffix for the client through right'clicking my computer and setting it in Network ID

I also unticked the &quot;Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix&quot; box in TCP/IP > DNS settings as I wasn't convinced the client was picking up the right infomration.

I will test this on another workstation ASAP

Does this make sense to anyone?

In your DHCP scope you can assign the DNS suffix which in turn pass to all the client.

Patel

where would I do that? DO you mean option 15, DNS Domain Name? I have already entered the name there

In your DNS configuration where is say allow &quot;Dynamic Updates&quot;, change it from Secure to Yes. If you using DHCP to issue IP addresses to you clients ensure that you &quot;enable DNS updates&quot; from all DHCP clients in your DHCP server config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back