Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant download and no images displayed - Urlmon.dll error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorguruga

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I'm currently undergoing two major problems ..

1. No images are displayed - where there should be a an image there's only a box with a little red x. I tried Internet options/show picture and security settings - they're set correctly. Still no pictures. But, when I right click on the box and click "show picture" that picture is then displayed.

2. I can't download any files. Everytime I click to download a file I get the message "iexpore has caused an error in urlmon.dll" then then the browser closes. The download problem seems to be extended to outside of IE because I tried updating Spybot and it crashed (but without giving the urlmon error message).

Anyone know how to solve this? I'm baffled.

Try this:
In the Run box type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll
It should box up a box saying it was successful or not.
If that does not work, go to add\remove programs and choose Internet Explorer. When it starts, choose repair.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

carr.. thanks for the link but unfortunately I cant even download that! I got the urlmon.dll error when I clicked it.

Jontmke.. thanks for the feedback. I tried regsvr earlier, when I searched the net for solutions. No success. In add/remove programs I dont have IE listed. My o/s is WinME btw.

You don't have IE listed? How can that be? It usually is under "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

No IE listed in my add/remove. Could it be because I'm WinME not XP or should it be there?

You can kick off the repair tool from a command prompt.
Folow these specs:

Click Start, and then click Run.
For Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and earlier, in the Open box, type the following command (the command is case sensitive), and then click OK:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

For Internet Explorer 6, please use the following command:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

When I try that, it opens but only "add a component" is selectable. "Repair IE" and "Uninstall IE" are both blanked out and unselectable. I think its because I haven't updated recently but when I try going to the MS site it wont let me download any updates - urlmon.dll error again when I try downloading Windows Update V4.

Jeez...
...you know, I hate to be overly simplistic, but once again...another ME box...
You really could be going yourself a favor by retrograding to 98 SE, if not upgrading to 2k.
Do you have a disk copy of IE (what vintage are you running, anyway?) that you could try an overlay with? It sounds like, at this point, that you're buggered on several fronts.
You SHOULD have IE in the Add/Remove list in ME, and these other remedies SHOULD have yielded some results...very curious...very daunting...

I just noticed that my peer to peer program can download fine. Is there any program I could download from there to help fix the problem? I tried searching for the Mcrepair program but no results.

carr.. that doesn't sound very promising.. I don't know about downgrading atm, not within the budget right now, but I had to reinstall this o/s a few times and now luckily I have a partitioned hd so reinstalling won't be as bad if its the only option. My IE vintage is the classic 5.50.4134.0100 which comes complete with min/max and close buttons in as one-off metallic grey finish.

I'm a few posts behind now.. I cant download from the net through IE, Carr. Can only download through Kazaa in a peer to peer fashion from someone elses PC. I tried a search for "mcrepair" in Kazaa but got no results. Are there any other similar programs I could search for in Kazaa?

Kazaa is likely the root of your problems. Not to ride you, but are you at least running kazaa lite? That #&^$*&% p2p is so rife with viruses and other crap that there's no telling what you're hosting. Have you been running good, updated AV? Please say yes...

It's true that there is a risk attached to using Kazaa but right now it could be my only hope because its the only method I have to download programs. However, I noticed that IE can still download mp3's from mp3.com and soundclick.com without getting the urlmon.dll error - I don't know if that can help shed some light on this. It seems the problem could be limited to certain file types or certain sites?

Again...do you run AV?
If so, have you run a thorough scan today?
If not, do so...or there's no point in going much further -- i.e. we gotta get this possiblity out of the way before we go chasing other options.

Yes, McAffee - I ran a scan last night and got a few different viruses. A total of 5 infected files. 3 were successfully deleted but 2 couldn't be deleted because they were in the c/restore_ folder. I found another virus which put rundll16.exe in the registry and startup. I followed methods to remove all the viruses from the machine. Now I'm running another scan, post results when its done.

The scan yielded no infected files.. any ideas or programs I could try downloading through kazaa which'll help repair IE?

You're likely going to need to get a good copy of IE 5.5 and reinstall it. Then run repair.

Ok, are there any other alternatives because I won't be buying a new copy of IE for a while and no one I know has a stand-alone copy. I can get my hands on the original WinM installation CD - will I be able to install it seperately from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back