Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't do this as one prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

skerper

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
US
I have a requirement to create a report which will require only a single prompt. However, I can't see how to accomplish it. The prompt is an attribute element list prompt. For example, choose the state you want from the list:

AVAILABLE STATES SELECTED STATES
Alabama
Alaska -->
Arizona
Arkansas

The twist is there is a requirement to have an Inclusion/Exclusion (OR/NOT) radio button along with the attribute element list. The business reason is that the user may want to report on every thing but a specific element, and some elements may exceed 1000 unique items. I should mention the Inclusion/Exclusion operator is to be applied to every attribute element prompt I create, not just State. I'm using State as a simple example.

I was able to get this to work using an Object prompt where I prompt for two filters -- one is an InList of States and the other is a NotInList of States. However, the user gets two prompts (one for the filter and one for the list of states), and I was told that was unacceptable.

Basically, I need an Attribute Element prompt that resembles the Metric Qualification prompt because it has the operator.

Has anyone ever accomplished this?

Thanks in advance,
--Steve

Hi guys,

what is the perpous of Architect.
and where it is used for.

Thanks,
Ram

I think what you're looking for can be accomplished pretty easily (we run v7.2.2) by qualifying on attributes. Create a hierarchy prompt on your Geography hierarchy. This will be applicable to all hiearchies. Place this prompt on a report and run it.

In desktop, when you are prompted with the hierarchy, drill to State, and drag the State attribute over to the far right pane, and you'll get an attribute qualification window. Don't drill down to the elements of State, just to the state attribute. From there you should be able to qualify on the id, the desc, whatever other forms you have for that attribute. And you'll be able to do this choosing from A LOT of operators, such as "In List" or "Not in List."

This can be done in the web also, when you go to step two, after selecting a level of the hierarchy to drill down on, the step 2 box says "Select" or "Qualify" at the top. Choose qualify when you want to exclude some states, and create your list then.

Hope that helps,
Nate

Thanks Nate,

These reports would be used exclusively on the web -- no Desktop users. When I go to the Qualify tab with all the different operators, is there any way to produce the list of attribute elements?

It seems that if I want to include elements, it's easily done from the first screen. However, if I want to choose a different operator (Not In List) from the Qualify tab, then I actually have to type the elements in. Or am I missing something here?

--Steve

No, you're correct Steve. My guess is that MicroStrategy thought if you're qualifying, it might usually be on a smaller list of elements... Now, lets say you've got a level above state, like Region, if you qualified on a region for instance, NOT IN LIST (SE Region), then you could effectively block a large group of states that way. But you aren't going to be able to qualify, and then drill thru lists like you would on the select tab of the second step.

You're first attempt at this, with the object prompt containing two filter prompts seemed reasonable to me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back