Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't do a backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoshrink

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2003
US
It won't see media. But that was after I did a few tests and it said it couldn't check capacity. I am using an Overland tape unit.

Do I have to set up anything past the defaults. Why can't these things be simple? Okay, I'm a little frustrated. The tapes were showing up with the right barcodes and now backup exec shows no media under the media tab although it does show the tapes under the devices tab. After the test run failed I tried to add the tapes to the offline media location but nothing seemed to happen. Drag and drop is not working for me either.

Do I need to set up a drive pool? Do I have to set up a media set.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

In the media tab, look under Scratch Media. Your tapes should be there. If not, look under Retired Media, they should NOT be there.

As for a media pool, how are your jobs set up? Are they set to use a media pool? If so, then YES you do need to have one set up. If not, then Veritas will use the Scratch Media.

What kind of overwrite/append are your tapes set for?

-SQLBill

They are not in either place. I used default settings for the tapes. I didn't set up anything in the media pool. No media at all shows in the media pool.

Something is not jiving between the Overland and BE9, I think. I will have to read every manual that came with it, I guess. I will take any other suggestions.

Try this.

Stop all BE services.
Take the tape library off-line
Reboot the library
When the library is backup and online,
Restart all the BE services.

See if the tapes are 'visible' in the Media Tab area.

If not, go to Devices, select SLOTs, highlight all slots and select INVENTORY.

See if that solves your problem.

-SQLBill

Okay, I followed those steps. Still no media. I went into devices. It has inventory greyed out but it shows the slots I have filled with tapes in them correctly labeled.

But when I try to run a backup, it fails a test run on capacity check. Am I doing something wrong on the Overland unit. Do I need to move a tape from the slot to the drive? I thought the Overland or Veritas would do that automatically.

I will move a tape manually (from the Overland unit LCD panel) to the changer but I did that previously and I still couldn't get Veritas to pass the capacity check.

thanks for sticking in and trying to help.

The library should move it automatically.

Have you used these tapes before?

Have they been removed and reinstalled at any time?

Reason for asking, could someone have moved the little slider that makes them write-protected?

Are the tapes set to allow overwrite? How about Append? It will show this to the right of the tape in the Device Tab when you expand SLOTS.

Which driver are you using? The OVERLAND or did you allow Veritas to install it's drivers?

-SQLBill

They are brand new tapes. I just took them out of the unit when I realized I needed to put barcodes on them.

I left all settings at default. And the tapes are all writeable--the little slider is not on write-protect.

I let Veritas install its' drivers. The only driver that I installed was the Sony driver that also had to be installed. I think that is for the actual drive in the Overland. But when I installed Veritas, I gave it the option.

Should I try to reinstall Veritas and see if it replaces any of the drivers?

I'm kind of at a loss right now for any other ideas. You say you barcoded the tapes and the list in Devices tab is showing the barcodes, so they must have been inventoried.

But the Inventory option is grayed out, so you can't inventory them.

I started to think that you may have manually inserted the tapes instead of Importing them. But I don't think that's the answer.

I'm leaning towards something happening to the driver and Veritas 'losing' control of the library. Give letting Veritas reinstall the drivers a try.

Unfortunately, I'm done for the day. I'll check tomorrow to see how it went.

-SQLBill

Did you by chance check in Foreign Media under imported media?

M

I checked all media types and it wasn't there. I am going to unistall and reinstall today.

thanks!

Uninstalling and reinstalling solved the problem. Lesson learned--have all the hardware hooked up before installing the software.

Now, when I try to back up the Snap NAS server, it looks like it is backing up but it is giving me a credential failure. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back