Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't display images inside elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

louisgnarf

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
OK, I'm having a problem with inserting images...I have a DIV element that is a "mainbox" of text...similar to a table but just implemented in CSS. I'm trying to insert an image, but the image, despite the HTML being within the mainbox's DIV tags, is put *behind* the mainbox's background. What is going on here? This can't be a problem with the z-index, since the image is inside the mainbox, right?

can you post your code please? Tony
reddot.gif WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=2 VSPACE=3

Here is the link to my page:

The picture I'm referring to is the inset picture of the man. As you can see, there is a brown overlay over the picture...that brownish overlay is a transparent gif used for the background of the mainbox...if i had just used "background:brown"...it would be opaque and you wouldn't see the picture at all. (ignore the other glitches on this page...)

I should clarify...when I don't specify an alignment, the picture appears just fine. In this case, I have specified the "right" alignment, and now the pic is behind the background.

The relative html is:
<div class=&quot;mainbox&quot;>
img border=&quot;0&quot; src=&quot;images/jack.jpg&quot; align=&quot;right&quot; width=&quot;350&quot; height=&quot;295&quot;>
</div>

The css code (in a seperate file) is:

.mainbox {
color:white;
background:url('images/common/brown.gif');

position:relative;
width:auto;
min-width:200px;
margin-left:100px; margin-right:170px; margin-top:120px; margin-bottom:20px;
border:3px double black;

padding:2px;
z-index:5;